The Former Presidency of Donald J. Trump, Volume XI: The Crypt Keeper Years

If there is in fact a fight within the Republican Party, then the semi-normal faction is getting the shit kicked out of it by the Trump faction. I know that Evan McMullen has been considering the idea of launching a new party. But that party would just lose. So it seems to me, the best course of action for the Kinzingers and Romneys of the world is to just flip to the Democratic Party. They’d be much more likely to be on the winning team that way.

3 Likes

Yeah my in-laws were in town this weekend and I think my mother-in-law’s brain has been broken by this. All she did was fret over the impeachment and then get out of sorts after he was predictably acquitted. Then she immediately switched over to his many impending lawsuits, claiming that New York was going to “get him.” I agree with her that it’s completely unfair but like, there’s nothing we can do about it except try to change our broken system as best we can so no need to get too upset about it.

2 Likes

I’m mildly impressed the NYT tracked down the cousin. Most publications wouldn’t have bothered.

Also impressed the reporter was able to turn this phrase:

Mr. Trump, Mr. Porter said, poked his finger in his chest and told him to deliver to Mr. Kinzinger a vulgar message about what he should do with himself. When Mr. Porter relayed the comment to Mr. Kinzinger during a conversation on Election Day, Mr. Kinzinger laughed and invited Mr. Trump to do the same.

Yeah. Mitch thinks he can influence primaries to get sane candidates, just lol at that.

2 Likes

The Mitch backed candidates will prob have more money than a Trumpist, but I’m of the opinion that money isn’t mattering very much any more.

1 Like

@BestOf

In other words the country is over. Good chat.

4 Likes

These people just fucking love low taxes and Ronnie Reagan too much to switch; they’d rather lose to the crazies than flip to the other side. I don’t know much about Kinzinger but at this point I doubt he has any future as a Repub but I’m sure bipartisan-obsessed Dems would love to vote for him, no clue what his district is like.

2 Likes

He was on Colbert after the insurrection. He seemed like a completely reasonable and sane republican. No wonder they hate him.

1 Like

Will there ever be a month on this site with more posts about President Biden than ex-President Trump?

1 Like

0%

1 Like

Not for a while if ever. But that’s because Trump is such a freak. The outrageous personalities are going to gain attention in entertainment and sports too. How could you expect otherwise?

That made me think, I’m aware of a decent amount of people switching Dem to Rep, but I don’t know of any cases of Rep to Dem. Is that accurate? Is Dem to Rep way more common?

Didn’t a lot of people leave the GOP after the insurrection? I remember hearing about it

I don’t know if by “people” you mean “people you know” or “famous politicians”, but both Jim Jeffords and Arlen Specter switched from R to D while in the senate this century.

Even if he dies it’ll be 0%

Biden doesn’t do too many insanely stupid things while Trump has done enough to last an entire life’s worth of posting.

This is probably the real problem with politics. It’s just entertainment now.

3 Likes

Oh boy! A fucking commission! Hopefully it will justify expanding the domestic surveillance state even more!

6 Likes

nobody ran against him last time in that district

but illinois has to redraw the districts and lol them if the seat they’re losing isn’t a R

They’ll draw it to get rid of an R, the question is whether the R is Kinzinger or someone else.