The Crypto Thread

Smartphones are not wasting electricity, they provide a service and there as an incentive to provide that service using as little electricity as possible. Proof of work also provides a service but it does not have that incentive. A simple way to see the difference is what would happen if electricity was free and 100÷ green. Smartphones would stay the same. We would still try to make them as energy efficient as possible because battery life matters but even for other examples the cost of electricity is not changing their use. Bitcoin mining would end up using massive amounts of energy as proof of work would compete based on who can produce the most ASICs as it needs to compete on something with value.

1 Like

TA is bullshit but I don’t see any reason why any coin can’t be bought for 15% less a day or two from now.

In PoS your influence and returns increase the more coins you have. I have not seen anyone show that this doesn’t end up with a couple of big holders making all the decisions. It will take time to get there and I can not predict how much time and how much for example ETH will be worth by then but it does mean it doesn’t solve the centralisation issue like proof of work does.
None of the things I wrote mean you should not speculate in BTC or ETH right now though as currently their valuations have nothing to do with how they are used and are all about sentiments about possible future usage and that can easily push either of them to valuations much higher than we have seen so far.

I swear I’m not messing with you but I’ve used bitcoin to make online poker and gambling transfers since 2016 but I didn’t own a smartphone until late 2017, and I gave it away a few months later. Then I got another cell phone mid-2020 to play on the poker apps but I haven’t seen the phone in weeks. It’s lying around here somewhere.

Ok, fair, I probably did overstate things when I said that the electricity wasn’t an integral part of the whole thing.

There is a certain level of glee coming from rich folk seeing the latest drop in crypto - like their expressing a small victory for their wallet against this crypto attack! - yet institutions made massive size buys around 34K. I honestly don’t know what to the fuck to make of that if it continues to crater to 25k. But it would make sense I guess if it rebounds to 50 as the elon ploy proves a success.

1 Like

Same as it ever was.

It’s already creeping up and the charts show strength (lol TA) but the real question is will 50k be the actual top of what will look like a dead cat bounce in hindsight.

For many it won’t matter as they’re waiting for 50k to buy. You can’t sell low if you don’t buy high, that’s just science.

1 Like

How many tweets have you sent to Musk asking him to pump it? If its less than 1000, you’re slacking.

1 Like

I have no doubt that the SafeMoon people have done this at least 10s of thousands of times, that community is nuts.

Buy $ASH

2 Likes

Please tell me that’s not you so I can make fun of him.

It’s my financial advisor so any attack on him is an attack on me.

7 Likes

I know I’m not pretty enough to be an influencer I wish people with awful voices were similarly self aware. Oh and he said gibberish.

https://twitter.com/strassa2/status/1399519340442099723?s=21

2 Likes

Maybe just donate that money to a good charity, Jas’

Bitcoin and /ES are much more in lockstep with each other than they were in 2017. Sure the Market cap is higher, but it still favors the belief that the larger buys, “smarter money” is more in control of the wheel now than then. I am somewhat of the belief that even the so-called “meme” stocks aren’t necessarily as memed as much as folks may think they are - just first in to a degree. The bear case to all this is high levels of disposable income which would wipe shit out if that is depleted.

1 Like

I would not take this bet, but here’s my attempt to guess three:

• ADA
  • LINK
  • BNB

I own none of these, but if you forced me to buy something other than BTC or ETH to be higher than now in 5 years that’s what I’d pick I suppose.

I’ll buy if you explain to me what it is and how to buy it. I’ve been willfully ignoring it, too much on my plate.

MY CUMMIES FUCKING TANKED BRO

2 Likes

Oh shit he said top 50 right now, fuck. I was like I CALL YOUR BLUFF JASON STRASSAR AS THEY SAY IN POKER.

Here’s 5 years (and 2 days) ago, serious trigger warning lol:

No seriously:

3 Likes

2 Likes