The Crypto Thread

Imagine being on the same team as Vladimir Putin. SMH

5 Likes

:queen_not_amused:

Art industry is the only one of those that possibly isn’t doa. For the rest, a public, distributed, redundant, append-only ledger is an objectively terrible solution.

2 Likes

Believed in FIAT, now she’s FLAT. Coincidence? Yes, most likely but that won’t bring her back. Might as well crypto đŸ«°đŸż

1 Like

Why? And what do you think about carbon credits on a blockchain?

normal citizens getting cash directly from polluting corporations in their country? :vince3:

normal citizens individually setting their own price for how much they value clean air? :vince:

Why is look at it form a technical perspective – a blockchain is just a database. A distributed, redundant, append-only database. This solves one problem – where you can’t trust a single authority to provide accurate data. For every other situation it’s more expensive both in terms of storage and processor time, not to mention complexity. So if you can trust like the producer of the product, or the central bank, or a clearing house, a blockchain is inferior. This isn’t to say one won’t be used, just that one shouldn’t. Furthermore, if you can’t trust people collectively as a rule to not lie to you at every turn, that’s not a technological problem with a technological solution. You better be out in the woods preppin’ cause crypto can’t fix a disintegrating society. No tech can. But in something like art where product values are high and provenance is important yet hard to verify and you’re dealing with shady motherfuckers as a matter of course, sure, blockchain may be useful.

Carbon credits, idk man, climate change is a political problem, it needs a political solution. Without the political will to do something, tinkering around the edges with shiny new technocratic policy ain’t gonna do shit imo. But anyway say you want to trade carbon credits. Besides, blockchains by design use tons of energy, that’s where the security comes from. So the more prevalent the blockchain gets used for carbon credits, the more carbon the tallying system burns? Why not just have the government or an international agency manage the records? You’re relying on them to enforce it anyway.

4 Likes

Proof of work blockchains use tons of energy, proof of stake not so.

Gas dropped by 15%, inflation should be better soon.

So i bought some corn :)

3 Likes

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be helpful for tracking genuine drugs. The idea would be to create blockchain tokens that match a genuine shipment of drugs and require that the token is delivered along with the product. This would make it impossible to counterfeit a batch of drugs and sell counterfeit versions to 50 different retailers.

You’re contradicting yourself here where you’re like “can’t fix people lying with technology” and then in the very next sentence are like “of course in a world like art where people are routinely dishonest it could be very helpful”. Which is it? A pretty good description of what blockchains do is “facilitate ad-hoc networks of trust”. This is not a general replacement for structured networks of trust, such as functional governments. But it can help in situations where structured networks of trust are very difficult to build for some reason (such as across international borders, when living under non-functional governments, if the network is complex and frequently-changing, etc).

Why is managing this information in a blockchain better than in the manufacturer’s database? Don’t we already have robust tracking for a number of products already? Why should anybody move from a working solution to a more expensive working solution.

Yeah this is reasonable take. Otoh, I suspect the situations with both non-functioning governments and plentiful cheap electricity are few.

Again, massive energy consumption is primarily a feature of first generation blockchains and does not apply to most of those developed in the past 10 years. The perpetually growing storage requirements are also not always necessary now.

Are you a fan or invested in Cardano at all? I keep thinking of them when I read a lot of your posts - just curious. I personally like what they are trying to do.

This is a good post.

Specifically. Some proposed blockchain solutions REQUIRE a trusted central authority and or working agreement outside of the blockchain.

I.e. carbon credits require a bunch of international agreements on rules, verification, enforcement, etc. Typically with state actors. If you have all that, then blockchain carbon credits dont offer anything that a database cant do better and faster.

You want to have 500 different databases, one for every drug manufacturer in the world, and require that every step of every supply chain know how to interact with all of them? Why don’t we instead have one system that new manufacturers can join anytime?

There is no reason such a system has to be expensive. Transferring tokens on Ethereum is expensive, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Transferring tokens on Flow, for example, is extremely cheap. Fractions of cents.

Again, proof-of-stake blockchains don’t require heavy energy usage, and in any case, what energy usage is required is by the people running blockchain nodes, not the people making transactions.

I had some ADA at one point but don’t now. I know its non-ideologically pure existence annoys the Ethereum maxis to no end. I don’t fell really strongly about it one way or another. I may get some again eventually.

I’m not even talking about that necessarily. At best it still uses way more CPU cycles and storage space than the alternative, so it costs more. Even if it’s 10x more instead of 10000x more it’s still a lot more.

That’s a weird way of looking at it. CPU cycles and storage space can and should be trivial for this sort of thing. The crypto-minimalist response to this is really that this is a use-case for a small, privately run, not very decentralized blockchain.

Putin ngmi.

1 Like

If you don’t need it to be public and decentralized, you don’t need it to be a blockchain. There is nothing a blockchain can do that another database can’t, and plenty it can’t do that other database architectures can. Why would you choose the less functional, less mature, less supported software for a thing? Of all the projected uses of blockchains, private ones are the least realistic.

1 Like

done it pump up a bit now