The Crypto Thread

I think the disconnect with us itt is you think “brainstorming how things should be” is what we’re doing but I’m “analyzing the way things are”

No you’re doing “raised by wolves”. It’s not as laudable as you think.

It seems entirely the opposite. You’re going with “crypto is 100% safe as long as you don’t make any mistakes” and ignoring the real world where ordinary consumers will make dumb mistakes all the time.

1 Like

Me: the Russian government is in charge of setting and enforcing Russian laws

You: there are no laws! Do whatever you feel is right

Suzzer is a NPC who only shows up here to troll when various game conditions are met. Even his whole “I’m done posting in the crypto thread” is bizarrely repeated every couple weeks before he ends up making the exact same posts for the 100th time like he is a host from Westworld.

11 Likes

Not even getting under my skin that much today. You might be losing your edge.

If you’re gonna include human error, it’s wild to ignore human error outside of crypto.

Outside of your individual fuckups, a crypto wallet can’t make outgoing transactions. The same can’t be said for banks

Unless you’re degening on NFTs maintaining your own wallet seems pretty damn easy

“I mailed gold to a guy in the Phillipines and he’s not sending it back”

“Bad news for gold bros”

3 Likes

Fuck off. I responded making a point about “This would never happen with crypto”. We’re having a civil discussion.

1 Like

But I’m not. Plain vanilla checking accounts and credit cards have all kinds of safety features when consumers inevitably lose their card or their PIN or do dumb shit.

Like, if I said banks are foolproof as long as no one makes any mistakes, you’d see how dubious that argument is.

Unironically correct, that is entire utility of crypto in its present form, to get around the government when you think it’s morally justified.

Well that and pump and dumping monkey jpegs.

1 Like

I’m with you. Mistakes can be made by the user in both areas and they can get various levels of fucked up.

With a bank, an outside entity can take money out and do whatever with it, without you fucking up, whether its “legal” or not. In that case, the crypto wallet is safer.

The bank can also put money back that you didn’t want taken out. I’d say whether that makes fiat banking vs. crypto “safer” depends on how likely you are to be a victim of being fucked up by a scammer vs. a victim of a big corporation deciding to yoink your money for whatever reason.

1 Like

How do you guys handle getting your crypto (assuming it is not held in a centralized exchange like Binance) to loved ones if you get hit by a bus?

1 Like

Shared safety deposit boxes with keys split half and half in each. Family knows the basics about how to withdraw in bus timelines.

1 Like

Average consumer experience/protections obviously still way better transacting with credit cards and mainstream transfers then with crypto. Strains credulity to argue otherwise. It isn’t that hard not to lose your crypto, but it is clearly riskier than just using credit cards.

1 Like

How would you characterize the recent Solend actions?

This was actually the use case of the startup company I worked as a side job for a year. You upload documents and any other digital assets to us, and specify where they should go in the case of your death, or some other verifiable condition. The documents were all end to end encrypted and stored in some server in Bermuda, presumably so the US govt couldn’t get at them.

It was an interesting idea, but terribly executed.

I came up with the use case of the supposedly three people at any given time who know the Coca Cola formula. If they all died somehow in a short period of time. the documents would go to the next in line. But they would never have to worry about leaving the documents with some lawyer who might sell the formula.

I don’t think anyone was arguing otherwise. This tangent all started because of one specific example where crypto is safer. Crypto isn’t meant to replace money.