The Crypto Thread

I read it. That’s why I posted this last week:

The exchange, indeed, made KYC obligatory for Russian users in August 2021 , meaning that before that, they could buy small amount of crypto and donate them to Navalny without giving their personal data to Binance at all.

How did they know if someone was a Russian customer without KYC?

I guess the only difference is I was actually informed and correct; important distinction. Sizzler; I’m not so sure.

(Posting for bubbles)

I don’t see how it’s contradictory. They’re saying if they had received a request for customer data from Russia that they found legally valid they would have fulfilled the request, but they haven’t. My understanding is putting the framework for that in place is what the discussions with Russia were about, they were never finalized, but Binance implemented KYC requirements for Russians anyway in August.

IP address. Source of deposited funds.

They specified

then went on to they say

So either they want us to believe that they never received any such request or that law enforcement is not FSB controlled/does not share information with the FSB.

If someone uses a VPN and deposits crypto then they still won’t know if someone is Russian.

I guess it’s possible they’re being super sneaky with language, or they could be flat-out lying. But Navalany’s own chief of staff doesn’t seem to think they gave up any data.

Centralized exchanges like Binance can and are used as places to hold and exchange cryptocurrencies, but their primary function is exchanging fiat money with real world banks. They’re how most people get money in and out of cryptoland and it’s almost always going to be connected to your bank or credit card or similar.

This thread has it all man. Like every trope of UP is here.

1 Like

You can’t own a trope.

Nobody owns a trope and frankly that one turned out to be true. You really cannot own a living thing.

New to crypto and NFTs. Is it Non Fungible Trolling or Non Fungible Trope?

5 Likes

bitcoinbros

I have minted this post. Floor is 420.69 eth

3 Likes

It will never have the value of Riverman DAO

1 Like

It’s an unfair comparison. Like fridge art of some kid who’s not yours versus the Mona Lisa

1 Like

That is deeply offensive.

1 Like

To the mint I made?

Comparing a magnificent blockchain collection that transcends art to a blurry kitsch painting of poor quality.

Pretty broad statement.

You think a system with questionable, and limited, utility used by ~100m people* having the energy consumption of the Philippines is just a drop in the global bucket? I don’t think it’s something that can be handwaved away personally - it’s obscene and not a system that needs scaling out the the 8bn on this planet until it’s fit for it.

** approx numbers from Google

Clipboard01sss

Let’s say the numbers above are broadly correct…

Clipboard01xxxx

Bitcoin using half the energy of the worlds whole Banking system is not something to crow about.

3 Likes

I mean, I’m capitalist but arguing that the anti-govt, anon, 4chan of currencies isn’t heavily consumed with far right nazis and doomsday dolts is pretty interesting. It’s the icing on the cake for these folks that it’s also bad for the environment.