The Crypto Thread

Isn’t the difference that crypto can’t be reversed? Thought once the scammer gets you, it’s gg.

You guys sure go to the personal attacks quickly when pressed just the tiniest bit.

The guy who almost got scammed in that twitter thread was obviously very smart. It’s a ridiculous strawman to imply that me thinking NBA stars might not be up to the task of auditing all the code in their smart contracts is somehow racist. Do better.

Check out any @elonmusk tweet, hundreds of fake Elons in the replies every time doing crypto scam giveaways.

Yeah and I’m broke. Learned two new things today!

It’s also gg when your grandma Western Union’s your inheritance to a Nigerian prince.

Western Union has some safeguards. They’re supposed to flag suspicious activity. I think nanna wiring $750k to Nigeria would probably count.

Also if you realize the scam in time they can stop the transfer. And even afterwards you can file a fraud complaint and they might give you a refund.

Banks are supposed to do the same thing with transfers. But they drop the ball sometimes. As I’m sure Western Union does.

when it’s me and KG, “my broke friend” is describing like 99% of all people, i wouldn’t give out your name specifically. but you gotta admit your decision to choose nba players as your example of people who can be easily fooled wasn’t random.

1 Like

It absolutely wasn’t random. But it has nothing to do with them being NBA players. It has to do with them being the big money in the game that lifted everyone else’s boats. If they take their ball and go home, so to speak, that would be pretty bad for the market, right?

I don’t know what other kinds of rich people have gotten into NFTs because they aren’t as public about it.

tons of tech people dude are you kidding me

tons of musicians

just admit you’re racist for thinking nba players are dumber than you

Go fuck yourself.

You’re projecting something you probably think about NBA players deep down, because that’s nothing close to what I meant. Nor did it even occur to me that could be racist. But it occurred to you.

It’s about not being a programmer.

Seriously just think about what I’m saying and don’t take it as a personal attack every time. Obviously you want rich people in the game. But you also want guardrails so they don’t get scammed and never come back. Right now there seem to be some pretty wide open vectors for scamming and very little guardrails for normies who just want to buy stuff but don’t want to learn and audit their own smart contract code.

So that’s a yes, right? The most a wrench will get in fiat is your atm limit.

I think this is because you’ve just now discovered the area of the map where the money is, and that’s predictably where you’ll find the scammers. It’s sort of like those parts of the Ganges where fishermen camp under bridges with magnets to scoop the coins that train passengers toss into the river. There are few actual fisherman there because the river is saturated with human feces and tannery chromium, which seems like a perfect description for the region where social media and Cryptoland intersect.

1 Like

A lot more if you kidnap someone. But that’s a lot of work an requires you being in the same country as them.

You’re talking about measures that were eventually introduced to existing systems that have been around for a long time, long after lots of people got away with lots of fraud. A lot of the talk about the risks of being scammed in the crypto world present them as some wildly original and and inherently unsolvable aspect when it’s really just a matter of new things still being rough around the edges.

1 Like

But a kidnap and ransom for fiat or whatever you have in mind is way more complicated. The wrench attack with crypto is like the ATM is in the person’s house, there’s no limit, and the nabbers leave with an untraceable (if smart) bag of cash.

Great - so then why does everyone rush to attack when it’s pointed out?

Like if I really believe in something, and you challenge me to defend in a perfectly polite manner (go back to before BJ started calling me a racist), I’ll be happy to. But in this thread people seem to be very thin-skinned about any criticism of the whole space. Which makes me wonder if most of you are deep down insecure about the foundation of this whole thing.

Unless of course it’s a crypto bro itt saying it’s all a scam. Then that’s fine for some reason.

Yeah that would be a huge concern for me if I had $129M sitting in a wallet that’s tied to me. For that guy even if he moves the funds to an anonymous wallet, everyone is still going to know he has $129M somewhere. I’d always be looking over my shoulder. He seems kind of naive in a bunch of ways.

It has nothing to do with thin skin, it’s about being exhausted from having the same conversation over and over and over again. “Click a mouse, lose your house!” Yeah, I’ve heard that one before.