The Crypto Thread

Dan Matuszewski from CMS Holdings.
in reference to mt gox news tanking the market 75% in 2013, he said he had to rush in because it was going to be inefficient.

https://twitter.com/cmsholdings/status/1456965041920659459?s=20&t=Y_NtVxzwZ5M_lRsaDU0L-Q

There’s an interesting and somewhat nuanced idea of btc as a grid resource. At this point the loads are so enormous that participation in demand response programs is embedded in the business model.

It’s a resource the same way my mortgage is a resource. If I don’t pay it, that doesn’t mean I’m making more money.

I don’t follow.

Grid operators and utilities pay bitcoin miners (and other customers) to cut consumption in some instances. A non-zero percentage of miner revenues come from demand response and providing other services to the grid. But it’s not that the industry is special, most large power customers all do this.

Sounds like hostage taking with fewer steps

1 Like

Really? Do you feel that way simply because it’s crypto miners? Some individual’s water heaters do this. Electric vehicles will. Large industrial loads do this. Grocery stores.

Those all provide prrtty essential services, so Im sure you get why I would feel there is a difference.

If you look at it a certain way, its basically the miners saying “We are overtaxing your grid for no real reason (ya know, aside from capitalism) and will stop if you give us money, otherwise fuck your grid.”

Is that truly how its working? Maybe, maybe not. But it sure can look that way

1 Like

He has a single punk that I’m guessing conservatively is worth 15 million.

He also has 8 others. Maybe 20 mill total. Think he’s easily In 9 figures.

Haha, wtf… there is a crypto punk jpeg that is worth $15m? Link?

Is earning a living non-essential just because Texas decided to yee-haw their own shitty power grid? Shouldn’t other non-essential services like Netflix and Amazon shut down servers/data centers they have in Texas to help reduce strain on the grid before relatively two-bit operations like crypto miners?

This one last sold for 124,457.0675 ETH, or $374 million USD. This one last sold for a much more reasonable 4200 ETH, or $12.6 million USD.

How can we tell legitimate sales from money laundering?

Yeah. It’s an alien punk. Last one that sold for 4200eth was a long time ago. Think lowest one on the market now is 10k eth.

23k eth

If you were hoping to buy a badly-made video collectible ticket NFT for Super Bowl LVI, you’re in luck. Well, sort of. They went on sale yesterday for $249 each, limited to 125 pieces for each team. While I was investigating, the very much beta site I’ll link below went inoperable for a few minutes, and when it came back online, we noticed that all of the good serials had been picked clean (1, jersey #s of players, 56, etc.). Checked again today and everything sold, but the “good” news is that they’re still available on the secondary market starting at $1,250 Rams and $950 Bengals. If you think this sounds sketch and was contracted by some fly-by-night company, take comfort in knowing that this is a collaboration between titan brands the NFL and LiveNation–you’ll need a Ticketmaster account to buy NFTs from their site.

If you aren’t fans of these teams, I have more good news. There are 20,000 fake ticket (and other) collectibles in this set from all teams and games from the 2021 season, which you can find here:

https://opensea.io/assets/nfl?search[sortAscending]=true&search[sortBy]=PRICE

1 Like

If you missed the initial drop, don’t worry because in NFT Land there’s always more coming. That account you all thought was a gimmick was actually Roger Goodell posting in this thread and he wasn’t lying.

Celebrate the games that got them there with these limited-edition AFC and NFC championship NFTs.

Available on 2/7 @ 12:00 pm EST, these NFTs will ultimately be part of your NFL ALL DAY collection.

lol The Atlantic has now published four mostly negative web3 articles in the past 24 hours.

People are maaaaad.

Any legitimate sale can launder the money. If Barbra Streisand wants an NFT worth a million, the dirty money can buy the nft and immediately sell it to her. You don’t have a bunch of folks all buying nfts with illegal money, sweating bullets on whether they are going to be able offload it before that nft crashes.

I was thinking of people selling it to themselves.