The Crypto Thread

Poker had a massive decline from 2004---->2011 in game quality.

2 Likes

I believe YouTube only allows US ads for online gambling from state-licensed companies.

Part of the problem is the casual players who funded the original poker boom want to play on a site where they can login and deposit instantly with their credit card. Without that ability, there is no poker boom.

The other thing that killed it is that the game was taken over by robots with no personality. Go back and watch the 2003 WSOP and then watch 2021. Sure the players today are way better, but the personalities that made the game fun and appealing to a mass audience are gone.

2 Likes

poker is still popular and successful. most of poker boom talk boil down to ā€œi used to be good and did literally nothing for 10 years and now iā€™m not good so i shall blame something elseā€

5 Likes

This reads like someone who hasnā€™t played poker for the last 20 years to have actually experienced what it used to be like tbh. The games are objectively worse now than 10 years ago and they were objectively worse then than the party poker days. That doesnā€™t mean you canā€™t still make money playing. Iā€™ve made a bunch of money playing on the apps in the last few years. You even imply it in your own post that you need to be much better at poker now than you did 10 years ago to be considered ā€œgoodā€ though so lets not pretend like the state of the poker economy is as good as it was. It isnā€™t.

3 Likes

lol you literally repeated what i wrote. you suck at poker (or you donā€™t, it doesnā€™t matter who ā€œyouā€ are). players got better because thatā€™s how things go. it doesnā€™t have to do with ā€œpoker boomā€. if you are good you can still make money.

what you are saying is ā€œi want to not improve at all and keep my winrateā€. thatā€™s not how things work

Disagree. Online all the whales are from like China, Romania, Hungary etc now. I doubt the whales are killing it in crypto. Maybe a few higher stakes games have been added but thatā€™s it.

As someone who prefers to play limit hold ā€˜em, O8, or mixed games, I used to be able to login to multiple sites and have several tables to choose from at different limits at all times. Currently I donā€™t know of a single site I can play on from the US.

The closest major poker room to me, Canterbury Park, used to have 30-40 tables running at peak times, and now gets around 15.

So yes, itā€™s still popular and successful, but itā€™s nothing like the boom was.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t made a non-crypto deposit/withdrawal from poker in a long long time. Thatā€™s what I was referring to. It is the primary way to get money on/off sites now.

i mean you gonna need a bigger magic trick than crypto to make LHE a thing again

So we agree? The games are harder and continue to get harder? Iā€™m not really talking about me tbh as I have very little plan to continue to play. If we had a poker boom 2.0 the games would get easier. Thatā€™s literally what happened in poker boom 1.0. The games got way easier and more plentiful. Instead the opposite has been happening for a long time.

Specifically higher limit NLHE tourneys on US sites are better and bigger now than most of the previous decade.

1 Like

Which is unfortunate, because one of the only things I agree with MM on is that limit poker games are way healthier for the poker economy than NL.

ETA: probably should move this derail to the poker thread at some point.

1 Like

I guess I donā€™t understand your point then. Poker is still popular and successful. Ok I agree. People talking about the poker boom wistfully all just being a bunch of lazy losers isnā€™t correct though. If you lived through the 2003-2006 era you know poker was a lot more fun if nothing else. Now it is nearly solved. I havenā€™t had fun playing poker in a long time even though I continued to make money off of it.

1 Like

why?

also this is meaningless

Was the number of active players lower in 2011? Popularity != Game Quality.

no? the number of active online players (US facing) was much higher during the stars/FT days.

The biggest problem with online poker has been the US, Germany, France, Italy and others making it hard to play, illegal to play or other regulations. Without government intervention games would have been pretty consistent over the last decade imo.

Probably fair. I canā€™t play on the legal us sites in my state still. Maybe that has something to do with my own viewpoint on it as well.