The Crapto Thread

Take it away Matt Levine

Celsius Network LLC is (was?) a crypto brokerage that took crypto deposits from customers, paid 18% interest on those deposits and then invested the money in crypto loans and complex algorithmic trading strategies.

Okay let me stop there. Read that sentence again. What does it say? If you said “it says Celsius Network was a Ponzi scheme,” then, congratulations, you have been paying attention to crypto. Oh, I kid, I kid. Not every crypto banking platform is a Ponzi, and I don’t know if Celsius was. But the very least surprising piece of news in the whole world would be “this 18%-crypto-interest product was a Ponzi.” “Ooooooooh we will take your cryptocurrency and give you 18% interest on it by investing it in secret things”! I’m sorry! What do you think that means? “Either the bank is lying or Celsius is lying,” Celsius Chief Executive Officer Alex Mashinsky once told Bloomberg Businessweek, and I am pretty sure that as a matter of formal logic that statement reduces to “lol I’m running a Ponzi.”

6 Likes

Most of these high interest crypto things have explanations that sound something like “but these go up to 11” except with more buzzwords.

Based on the intensity and frequency of the personal attacks, absolutely. Also their specific nature “you’re a scumbag for cheering peoples losses” from the “have fun being poor” crowd

These scams have been lolled at by the discord for a long while so I’d guess not. Would suspect some people lost some in Luna but not this other yield junk.

1 Like

Taking a casual interest into the “difficulties” a lot of these crypto sites are having, many look a lot like poker sites circa 2005 that were dipping into customer accounts to expand, “pay shareholders”, etc.

1 Like
1 Like

:leolol:

Imagine getting contained your posting was so bad and still pretending like you are somehow being victimized. Never change Riverman!

God such snowflakes

2 Likes

Big thanks to whoever split this topic out, there was just so much noise drowning out the high quality discussion of the beauty and utility of cryptocurrencies and the other thread is really thriving now. :moneybag:

12 Likes

:vince3:

2 Likes

I don’t think a single dollar has been lost in discord to these yield scams.

1 Like

Reminds me of Haralabos clutching pearls a few weeks ago over people laughing at one of these ponzis going belly up. He called for people to be kind.

He’s one of the douchiest HFSP voices in the space. You don’t get to have it both ways.

2 Likes

Who’s douchier, Haralabob or Doug Polk?

dont even know who hara is and gonna go DP

Read up because, imho, it’s hbob ainec

1 Like

Yes

Mfers has a floor price of 1900 bucks. Dogecoin is worth $8,000,000,000. The bottom 99% of crypto is worth the same as the country of Brazil. We are still at the moon.

https://twitter.com/phil_hellmuth/status/1546673404865945602?s=20&t=sZ7vz2k4wKvUyLaeQWYH0Q

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1546595734992162817?s=20&t=OPGK-Z7vwZVZbsumpZLNSA

6 Likes