The Crapto Thread

Sounds great. Would the blockchain do this better than the government just running it’s own databases?

Given the requirement for government involvement, and I assume there are barriers to them doing this, would doing it on blockchain help overcome those barriers?

My idea would be to have a publicly available record that government can’t edit, for maximum transparency. I am not knowledgeable enough to know what other ways to implement a database can accomplish this and if they would be better.

This idea has been out there for awhile and makes alot of sense, especially in countries where the nazi’s tend take over from time to time.

1 Like

Okay. Got it. That sounds like a good application.

Has the dependency on the gov doing it. Which is a problem, and not sure that bypassing the government entirely would be the same thing.

Maybe parties could start self registering as an additional layer on top of government endorsed contracts?

Okay, I’m gonna role with the slightly adversarial opinion that BTC is going to get hit with some hearty sell offs after this uptick. The market responding to Microsoft’s reporting with “growth fears” combined with the advertising collapse is suppose to be a solid sign that future rate hikes may be easing and that it’s mission accomplished! Crypto absolutely loved Microsoft’s report but that shit hasn’t been the major factor on what has moved the price of it, up to this point. New non zero btc addresses has played a larger role in BTC price and I don’t see that increasing enough even with the off chance that rates aren’t raised to what the market expects.

Are discerning UP Crypto Discorders still making good money flipping NFTs or not really?

:harold:

1 Like

lol Doge

lol Musk

lol the economy

Everything is stupid

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1587297730631696384

1 Like

checks DOGE price

Of course it went up 15% :man_facepalming:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2022-10-17/how-gamers-beat-nfts

luddites shooting themselves in the foot, fighting make sure the high scores we hit on the games we already play will continue to be valueless.

“The initial backlash from consumers was a response to the shallow game mechanics and Ponzi-scheme-like practices that informed most of the early designs,” says Joost van Dreunen, a games industry analyst and investor who teaches about the business of video games at New York University. “It isn’t fun or sustainable.”

so, competition-wise, it should be easier to create the BEST game in that market, if all the current games are bad. pretty dumb of these developers to not go for the slam dunk.

In December, GSC Game World Global Ltd. announced an NFT auction to help fund its highly anticipated sequel, Stalker2 , stressing that it needed the money to fulfill its ambitions for the game. Days later the company tweeted, “Dear Stalkers, we hear you. Based on the feedback we received, we’ve made a decision to cancel anything NFT-related.” Shortly after, the company delayed Stalker2 ’s release by more than six months.

thanks, “fans”. is kickstarter funding dark money to foment these backlashes? who really won there?

prolific voice actor Troy Baker, who played Joel in the seminal zombie apocalypse game The Last of Us , gave up on an NFT project he’d joined with a company called Voiceverse. Baker’s initial announcement seemed to anticipate the anger it engendered. “We all have a story to tell,” he wrote. “You can hate. Or you can create. What’ll it be?” Two weeks later, he apologized, tweeting, “After careful consideration, I’ve decided to not continue the partnership with VoiceVerseNFT.” The gamers had chosen hate.

haterism seems to be a big thing with the anti-crypto folks. this is just some actor, he’s not a billionaire. why chase him off of a job?

Perhaps the greatest blow to the effort to put NFTs in games came in late July when Minecraft , a game whose success has spanned generations, banned NFTs and other blockchain tech. Such items, the developers said, “can create models of scarcity and exclusion that conflict with our Guidelines and the spirit of Minecraft .” Left unstated: Minecraft has almost total control of in-game cosmetics through its own marketplace, and owner Microsoft Corp. sees no need to open things up to web3.

maintaining a total monopoly over my work and creativity for the win! based!

https://twitter.com/drnicka/status/1588836869382754305?s=46&t=b1r3yhVynfG9m11pojLWmg

What is that woman doing?

I have a lot to say on this I think but I’m not sure gamers have really rejected NFT’s, we just haven’t seen a good implementation for it.

this article nails it:

Buying a flashy digital sword with fake gold in 2006 isn’t all that different from buying a Bored Ape with a digital token right now.

Exactly - and stuff like CS:go knives going for thousands of dollars proves that people (read: gamers) are more than willing to shell out serious cash for unique collectables, especially when they’re cosmetic. The absolute best way to monetize right now is from ingame cosmetic shops, I don’t even really care that much about stuff but will see a really cool rare goal explosion for $20 in rocket league or something and you’re like “fuck it.”

things like this can also work as status symbols which is obviously a big thing people will pay tons for. Of all things in the crypto world, much of which I hate, I am far and away the most bullish on NFT’s - I think they’ll stick around more than any other implementation of blockchain technology.

people like to clown on bored apes but I’d honestly love to have one if the floor wasn’t so absurdly expensive

Every time I read something about crypto it seems they end up being these think-pieces that dress up issues with crypto to make them appear like they are something other than the very issue that crypto was supposed to solve in the first place.

minting an NFT

1 Like

This week, JPMorgan completed its first live cross-border transaction on a public blockchain using the ethereum layer-two network PolygonMATIC, designed to help ethereum scale, and a modified version of the aave protocol—a DeFi technology that allows people to lend and borrow without the need for a trusted third party.

In the past, cryptocurrencies have sometimes been unfairly called a solution in search of a problem. But let’s make no mistake—to see a bank like JPMorgan come and make use of open-source solutions developed by cryptocurrency companies is not only a validation of DeFi as a technology but also a vindication of crypto as an industry.

https://twitter.com/theblock__/status/1589979338979434497?s=46&t=hOGogDRa8jIzp5tnBI1BFg

https://twitter.com/haralabob/status/1590010596639985664?s=46&t=hOGogDRa8jIzp5tnBI1BFg

Seems not great!

1 Like