The Confederacy of Donald J. Trump: A Confederacy of Dunces

Scroll up to all the Maggie Haberman tweets.

1 Like

Great job founders, that extra 75 days was an A+ idea

6 Likes

“Look, I’m a reasonable man. We all know that the Democrats stole the election from me. So I will offer them two options. First option is that Joe Biden publicly admits that the election was stolen. Once he does that I will be duty-bound by the Constitution to remain President for the next four years. If he doesn’t do that by December 31, the Executive Order I just signed mandates that the Secret Service act to prevent him from taking the presidency which is rightfully mine. Under this second option, military and civilian personnel will take up arms to suppress any uprisings and I will be forced to cancel future elections and become President for Life.”

The inauguration used to be in March I believe. The telegraph and railroads restructured 10k years of human communication and activity. In the new constitution that should be written there should be like 1 day, or at least something that prevents significant action being taken after election day.

The first inauguration, that of George Washington, took place on April 30, 1789. All subsequent (regular) inaugurations from 1793 until 1933, were held on March 4, the day of the year on which the federal government began operations under the U.S. Constitution in 1789. The exception to this pattern was those years in which March 4 fell on a Sunday…
This resulted in several anomalies: The Presidency was technically vacant for 24 hours in 1821, and in 1849, it is alleged that Senate President pro tempore David Rice Atchison was president for a day.[2][3] In 1877, Rutherford B. Hayes was sworn in secretly on March 3 due to the controversy over the Compromise of 1877.

2 Likes

This 100%

Just pulling this one out:
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1340353369660076035?s=20

About damned time.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1340392519499198465?s=21

On the one hand yikes, on the other hand when even Giuliani is like “that’s crazy, no,” I think we’re probably ok if only for the reason that nobody with real power is going to follow any of his obviously illegal commands.

So hypothetically, Trump literally tweets: “I declare martial law.” What happens?

I’m gonna take a wild guess no one fucking knows.

2 Likes

Well I’m certainly starting to feel vindicated in my panic posts about a coup.

1 Like

I think that would force Jack to pull the trigger on his account but in a way that’s worse because we wouldn’t know what evil shit was coming.

well until he orders the military nothing happens

but even if he did a bunch of states will tell him to fuck off so WAAF

I mean I guess the Supreme Court says “losing an election is not a valid reason for martial law,” the military refuses to comply and he goes off to Mar a Lago, but who the fuck knows.

1 Like

Nothing happens. Martial law is a category that generally refers to suspension of habeas corpus. He’d need to actually issue orders to specific arms of the governemnt (ie the military) to actually do things (like “go arrest all the democrats!”). Otherwise the phrase “I declare martial law” doesn’t mean anything.

Lol, I’ll admit your posts are aging better than mine. I’m still not panicked though. Maybe I should be, I don’t know.

While trump is 100% trying for a coup he is drawing nearly stone dead. Highly unlikely the military follows even if he declares martial law.

1 Like

It’s a longer shot when you realize it’s not just “I declare martial law,” but likely requires military officials to follow orders such as “go arrest Joe Biden.”

1 Like

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1340376383185285120?s=21

1 Like