The College Protest Thread: Countdown to Kent State 2.0

There are large amounts of college kids who are way more likely to protest police violence against their peers than to protest for days on end for Palestine

Sure - as always they over charge when police get their feelings hurt, no way the battery sticks.

2 Likes

these individuals were not Emory community members.

non-Emory community members

this individual is not a member of the Emory community.

28 individuals have been arrested, including 20 Emory community members

lol

9 Likes

I think the point he was making is not that there aren’t legal limits to what cops can do to people they are arresting, it was that once you are being arrested you aren’t going to win any arguments about what the cops are doing and for your own safety should try and minimize antagonizing the police by continue to argue or resist. Unless your whole point is to get abused by the police for a future lawsuit I suppose…

i feel like there’s a reckoning coming for cops…

Another e-mail from the Emory President:

Dear Emory Community,

I’m writing to follow up on yesterday’s messages regarding the protests at Emory.

The encampment that was set up yesterday in the early morning on the Quad in front of the Commencement stage was quickly cleared by law enforcement and a number of arrests were made. Following these events, students gathered outside Convocation Hall to organize a protest. Throughout the afternoon, Emory students and community members assembled peacefully on the Quad. The afternoon events were monitored by open expression observers and Emory Police Department (EPD) officers were on site to provide support as needed.

Early yesterday evening, a large group of protestors left the Quad and gathered outside the Candler School of Theology. Some protestors pinned police officers against the building’s glass doors, threw objects at them, and attempted to gain access to the building. These actions against officers prompted an increased law enforcement presence on campus. Protestors then returned to the Quad and eventually dispersed. No further arrests were made.

I am saddened by what took place at Emory yesterday. To watch these highly organized, outside protestors arrive on campus in vans, construct an encampment, and overtake the Quad just days after it was vandalized with hateful and threatening messages was deeply disturbing. I also know that some of the videos are shocking, and I am horrified that members of our community had to experience and witness such interactions. The fact that members of our community were arrested upsets me even more and is something that I take very seriously. To the best of our ability, we are working with law enforcement agencies to assist detained community members and expedite their release.

Yesterday’s events echo similar incidents that have taken place at universities nationwide. I understand that the ongoing effects of the war in Israel and Gaza, including the humanitarian crisis engulfing the Palestinian people and the hostage crisis involving Israeli civilians, continue to stir painful emotions. At the same time, the construction of the Atlanta Public Safety Training Center engenders fierce debate across our city.

As Emory community members continue to express themselves and protest, we are committed to working with students and faculty, open expression observers, and the EPD to facilitate their peaceful expression. However, we will not tolerate vandalism, violence, or any attempt to disrupt our campus through the construction of encampments. These actions are counter to our values, and they disrupt the core purpose of the university and its educational and research missions.

Today, once again, Emory staff from Facilities Management have returned to the Quad to repair the damage caused by a group of individuals who did not have this community’s best interests in mind. Dedicated staff members will then resume the work of preparing our facilities as we welcome thousands of families, parents, and guests to campus for our Commencement ceremonies.

As we approach finals, the end of the academic year, and Commencement, I recognize that there is disagreement on difficult issues and there will continue to be debate. But I also know we can express our views and beliefs without diminishing the experiences and accomplishments of others. That will be our challenge in the days ahead and I know it is one that this community will rise to meet.

1 Like

Always those damn outside agitators huh

right, if you know there are 800 cameras filming, mild prodding that can produce a disproportionate reaction from the cops can be massively +EV (both for your personal financial situation and for whatever poltical cause you want to advance), if you’re willing to put up with a broken nose

2 Likes

You mean like some more funding to help them deal with these violent protests?

In this day and age wild that the university would accept the liability of having student talking about murdering people still on campus
——-

The student, Khymani James, said in the January video that “Zionists don’t deserve to live” and “Be grateful that I’m not just going out and murdering Zionists.”

Mr. James made the comments during and after a disciplinary hearing with Columbia administrators that he recorded and then posted on Instagram.

The hearing, conducted by an associate director of the university’s Center for Student Success , was focused on an earlier comment he shared on social media, in which he discussed fighting a Zionist. “I don’t fight to injure or for there to be a winner or a loser, I fight to kill,” he wrote.

I don’t think it’s ever +EV to provoke cops. The odds they kill you are too high. Terrible way to die too, knowing in your final moments that they’ll probably get away with it.

1 Like

It might be +EV for the movement. Hypothetically, if a few protestor lives could end up saving thousands in Gaza, is that a trade we should be willing to make?

https://twitter.com/togdali/status/1783654267041005923?t=fQyRBNQ7f_PTWx6UmQErPw&s=19

I actually think this is fine and much better than sending in cops.

https://twitter.com/RLJnews/status/1783895641468645747?t=XH5Fx1DZfZP88CS2LV9_ag&s=19

Those comment suck.

That student should probably face consequences.

He is not actually in a position to kill people.

There are multiple folks who make similar comments about killing Palestinians, and who are killing Palestinians, or supporting a government that is killing Palestinians. Our reaction to these comments should be appropriate and in context.

https://twitter.com/YouGovAmerica/status/1783952442075259273?t=7CW00I8GCGGFf2DtQsyAjA&s=19

I only want to hang out with the 4% of Americans that think rioting is always acceptable. Now that’s punk rock.

3 Likes

https://x.com/kenbone18/status/1783920810656170365

imagine ken bone is more based than you

5 Likes