The C-Word

I don’t know if your using it has the same effect on American (I think it’s the same with Canadian) women as it does when Americans/Canadians use it. I’m sure it doesn’t matter who I’m talking about or the context if I walked around in real life using the word - women would not like it and some would be afraid of me because of it.

I’m also willing to accept the possibility that people separated by the Atlantic Ocean will never understand each other on this point, much less agree.

Well I mean…swear words are supposed to carry some offence - that’s their whole purpose and it’s where their impact comes from.

What I don’t want to do is specifically offend people with a defined set of racial/gender/sexual characteristics.

It is sexist, because it’s imputing femininity to him in a manner that suggests femininity implies weakness or frailty.

1 Like

I’m convinced a site wide 15 min imposed break would vastly improve the discourse here.

No I’m not actually advocating for one.

Feel free to take one.

1 Like

Yep, I wholeheartedly agree.

So what does it mean when you were told you were doing so, and then you continued to do so?

Told by who? By a man speaking on behalf of women?

That ■■■■ is offensive to women, and you continued to use it.

It must be nice to be made of Teflon

I am deeply offended by the common (mis)use of the word utilize and feel I like I may be part of a silent majority here that should be taken seriously.

5 Likes

Not even just men. An actual woman chimed in.

I don’t remember that, apart from zara who seems nonplussed by it and in fact has used it herself. Link?

This is an argument against the primacy of the personal intent of the user. I’m not trying to justify use of the word based on the personal intent of the user; I’m saying their use should be understood in terms of the linguistic community they inhabit. I’m assured that this is the Exact Same Argument that people use to justify using other slurs, but I’ve yet to be told what English-speaking country the guy who claimed ‘f–’ wasn’t homophobic came from.

And do you agree that the same is not true when I call Boris Johnson a ■■■■■

1 Like

Not really, no. Seems awfully similar.

1 Like

Then you’re just completely affirming my earlier charge that this is in part about regarding non-American senses of words as unreal or illegitimate.

2 Likes

Isn’t @skydiver8 the only American woman on this site? (Bro, but she’s really not here at all.)

She’s in the best position to say how American women feel about it. I can tell you it would piss off my wife.

2 Likes

@j8i3h289dn3x7 I know you posted without further comment, but I’m gonna go ahead and put you on cross here. Any comment to the above please?

OK, then what does it mean for Boris Johnson to be a ■■■■■ that both has nothing to do with sterotypically female attributes and that cannot be seamlessly replaced with another word?