The C-Word

I’m sure jman will agree as long as he doesn’t think he’s on the list.

Calling it out once or twice is different from following him around every time he posts.

3 Likes

Suzzer deserved a healthy dose of grief for needlessly traveling during a pandemic. How we draw the line between strong criticism and abuse is a judgement call, but I’m pretty sure the way he’s been treated hasn’t crossed the line.

2 Likes

Yeah, god forbid anyone should do that.

1 Like

Cool. I didn’t really think of it as going to bat for watevs…but too much to explain here. I’ve said before that I don’t think watevs cares much about the community and that’s a problem, but w/e.

I will say this about myself and my fellow mods…it’s much harder to moderate people who think you are out to get them. I was far more reluctant to ban jman or CW in the time that I banned them than I was jal. I could just PM jal and explain that I was trying to calm things down and I knew he’d be cool with it. And I know that ALL the other mods struggle with this and at least have some reticence to moderate people who they expect will complain about being abused. That’s not to say that all modding is perfectly objective by me or anyone else, but that pressure to not moderate opponents is real and it has affected moderation.

1 Like

I think the mods are already empowered to make these judgments even with imprecise definitions.

Sure, I mean they have to be really don’t they?

But there will inevitably be problems with differences of opinions between the mods leading to a lack of fairness, and even inconsistencies from each mod according to what side of the bed they got out of. As I said, they are human and we have to expect errors, as in the jmakin/micro example above.

What people won’t accept I think, and recently have become suspicious of, is the huge potential in this system for bias, whether conscious or subconscious, and this isn’t helped by the invention of the idea of there being a “Brit clique” which is QAnon levels of nonsense invented by someone no longer here for reasons we can only guess at, and perpetuated by others in his absence, which if repeated often enough probably gains some traction as we’ve seen with other conspiracy theories.

1 Like

Desired result for me has always been one thing - fairer moderation.

I think a lot of the other stuff can be worked out as we go - it’s still a young forum after all - and I cite the c word as an example.

People may say “my god you think that was good?” but we got there in the end which is no mean feat for a linguistic dispute spanning different continents conducted on a message board, and in fact imo would have done it a lot faster without the distractions we had.

So put me down for want to reach a detente and stop this endless circle of nonsense .

1 Like

I disagree. I’ve seen whatevs trash Suzzer about it in totally unrelated posts across multiple threads, to the point that if I was a mod I would have given him a temp without asking any questions or permission.

1 Like

Everyone who asked him for a trip report should eat a ban

Fair. I didn’t realize anyone was doing that.

Asking him for a trip report isn’t condoning his trip - it’s accepting he went and hoping he enjoyed it and was safe.

1 Like

Thanks for reading my blog.

1 Like

I didn’t see those posts, but I guess I’m not surprised coming from that poster. Rest of the community seems more restrained imo.

I have never read your blog.

Telling that the disgusting classist lie you made up to shit on me doesn’t even register as a point in this conversation. Amazing that you can recap the other day without including it, but that’s you after all.

It’s not nonsense to describe a bunch of people acting like a team as one. When you and fidget and marty and to a lesser degree d2 are always on the same side criticizing the mods in the same ways in every discussion on moderation and forum rules, it stands out. Like, I don’t get offended when you talk about THE MODERATORS instead of each of us individually. I’m not sure why you’re surprised at this characterization when you certainly act like they’re your allies.

What I and other moderators have issue with is that there is no mod action that can be taken against you or someone you’re sympathetic to that you cannot describe as being biased. It’s unfalsifiable, and no explanation is acceptable. So, either you get carte blanche for abuse, or you wage ongoing campaigns against the unfitness of any mod that does anything (and doing anything about that campaign, then, is of course further proof of bias).

Pretty lol to address this to both of them when one of them follows the other one around to make sure to criticize every mod decision, post, and comment the other one makes. Wookie is basically the new Commonwealth now, without the blowups.

We don’t call you a “mod clique”, we call you the mods which is what you are.

If people want this forum to come together (and I’m beginning to doubt this) they have to stop inventing “cliques” to demonise people they have very obvious and frequently expressed grudges against.

1 Like

Given that most of my mental health talk is inside of that thread, I’m fairly certain you have. It would be trivial for me to check, but I won’t do that.

I cringe at even giving your post any kind of credence, but my speaking about mental health has helped more than a few people, and they’ve said so.

3 Likes