The beer, wine, and spirits thread

Oh God, that reminds me that I’ve a few of those sitting around. Chocolate Rain and Mocha Wednesday are the two that stand out that I remember really looking forward to. LOL at me enjoying them if I’ve lost the taste for high ABV beers.

Drinking 3-4 of those a week is heroic - definitely update the thread!

I have a bit of the same issue with my wine cellar as well. Although to some extent it was inevitable as some wines might be aged for two or three decades while tastes are bound to change at least to some extent over those time periods. Even over a couple of years my tastes have changed a lot.

I bring a lot of stuff to parties to get rid of them. They are still good wines so might as well let other people appreciate them.

Ah, that reminds me of another complete failure:

Thin and fake tasting. Blech.

I thought I did? I’ve definitely enjoyed these in the past:

But now, who knows? The world’s turned upside down.

I literally only had one example of it, so I guess i’m not sure if I like the style or I like that specific beer. It does have a funky balsamic vinegar type aftertaste which I weirdly enjoyed.

Nice reviews, interesting.

I’ve made it an unconscious rule never to buy a beer I wouldn’t drink at least a couple of pints of. The super strength stuff, with some exceptions, is often too sweet and lacks complexity.

I usually look for pint sized bottles up to about 5%.

Great thread.

I’m about a 2 hour drive from Tree House Brewing and planning to take a trip this week to stock up. They post limited beers to their store at 9:30am every morning (until sold out) and then coordinate a contactless pickup onsite. I’ve had the Julius and Very Green before and they did not dissapoint. Will post pics with stash.

1 Like

This beer holds a special place in my heart, pretty sure it was the first sour I ever had and I loved it. Havent had one in a few years I’ll try to pick one up next time I get beer.

Aren’t there any actual English ales in your shops? They’re quite unlike beer from anywhere else.

Don’t know much about English beer but I did enjoy drinking cask ales when I was in London last year. I see stuff from Samuel Smith, Youngs and Newcastle in the stores but I don’t know if that is what you’re referring to?

Fuller’s are pretty good from what I had.

There’s one place in Paris (that I know of) that has a hand pump, last time I was there they had some sort of cold tea on it.

Sam Smiths is keg not cask so beer snobs like me turn our noses up at it, but Youngs are a good traditional real ale cask brewer, as are Fullers, Marstons etc and loads of other smaller breweries dotted around the country.

It differs from what you’ve been drinking by having top-fermenting yeast that continues to ferment in the cask at room temperature, adding complexity to the flavour, and should be drunk unchilled…

At this point, I feel like I’m just going into my beer room and playing a scratch-off lottery. Open up a random bottle - is it going to be a drain-pour or am I going to enjoy it and get a bit buzzed?

Recent night 1:

Dark Horse Barrel Aged Plead the 5th - I used to love this stout. 8 years storage hasn’t done any favors, plus I haven’t been enjoying high-ABV stouts recently, so not a big surprise that I ended up dumping this after just a few sips.

Recent night 2:

A 2014 Abyss from Deschutes - This beer ages really well, and I ended up drinking more than half of the 22 oz bottle. Very pleasant surprise - maybe I’m wrong about losing my taste for stouts!

Recent night 3:

2015 Whiskey barrel aged Yeti - I knew this was almost certainly going to be a loser. I didn’t like this beer when I bought it fresh, and my experience with other Yeti varieties has been that they age poorly. I was right. I had a few sips over 30 minutes and it never tasted good. So another drain-pour.

This notion of “am I going to be drunk or just annoyed after opening this bottle?” is probably not healthy, but at least I’m bleeding down my basement supply.

2 Likes

stuck at home in quarantine i’ve decided to become a wine expert.

the first wine i’ll be tasting will be a syrah/grenache blend from corbieres, france: beauregard mirouze lauzina 2016.

this wine is paired with IMP-5 (in house genetics’ forbidden jelly) in a volcano vaporizer and classic tobacco juul.

ANALYSIS:

the wine looks like a purple ruby all melted. a little viscous, it sticks to the glass a bit.

it’s got that strong repulsive odor that most red wines have that almost always makes me want to change my mind about wine and go for a tasty lager or an odorless whisky. but halfway into the glass i’m starting to appreciate the depth of the odor

up front is an acidic bitter, followed by sweet in the back and almost no lingering taste at all. dry af.

the drunk is fun. i feel like a french douche (in a very good way).

i’ll probably rate it like 90 points. i’d buy a case of it and feel good about it, but i’m not gonna make case decisions yet until i taste the rest of this sampler

4 Likes

Had a 2008 Dom Perignon last Friday to celebrate our anniversary.

I think it’s too early and needs another 5 or 10 years to develop. It was still very good but my expectations were much higher. Truth be told I’ve had several other Champagnes recently that drank better than this bottle.

Second bottle was 2001 Domaine de la Vougeraie Vougeot Clos du Prieuré, a village level Red Burgundy - but vineyard designated - that is supposed to be well past it’s time. This bottle was fantastic as were the other 3 we’ve had over the past couple of years. I have 2 left to save for special occasions.

I forgot to take a pic so stole this one from the web:

2 Likes

Introduction

from 2017, cabernet franc grapes from bourgueil in the loire valley, you better believe i’m talking about Lorieux Tuffeaux. named after the soft yellow-colored stones that dominate the central loire valley and vineyards, truffeaux. these local limestones lend minerality to the wines produced here.

Materials and Methods

IMP-5 in the volcano, classic tobacco in the juul, MissAlice_94 on the tv

Results

Very mild odor, but a nice odor that doesn’t make me gag like some of these wines. lighter and almost like fresh flowers but like grape flowers or something, you can tell it’s grapes.

can taste a little sweetness, and not much lingering taste at all. pretty dry. not sure how much of the drymouth is from the weed or the wine but the back of my mouth is quite dry rn. idk if i’m tasting any of the limestone minerals, i’m not that familiar with the taste of limestone. maybe that’s the flowery taste? maybe i think limestone tastes flowery?

Discussion

since this is a medium bodied wine it’s not gonna be my favorite. i want to get punched in the face with my wine, and this has got a little of that, but i don’t care for the flowery, potentially limestoney aroma. i want fuckin grapes, man. i want welch’s but with that fermented alcoholic bite instead of the insane overpowering sweetness i’m guaranteed to get from my boy welch.

80 points. pretty good, i mean i might buy a bottle or two but i liked the last one better.

3 Likes

We have pretty much opposite tastes in red wine. I love light to medium body reds with delicate and interesting aromas and flavors ranging from earth, spices, white pepper, sometimes green notes like herbs or bell pepper, and restrained fruits and berries.

If I was you I would avoid France, except perhaps Bordeaux (look for wines which critics call “modern”), N. Rhone (these will be powerful more so than fruity, but can certainly punch you in the face), and maybe Cahors and look for wines made from the classic Bordeaux grape varieties (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Malbec) from the US, Australia, and South America. Some Aussie Shiraz, particularly the ones they export, might also fit your bill. (@ChrisV might be able to help you out here with Aussie wines as I believe he’s mentioned being a wine drinker recently.) Try to avoid wines critics call “old world style” as they will be more restrained (and interesting to me) but less likely to be that powerful in your face fruit that you’re looking for.

Also, don’t start buying cases of anything for a while if ever. Your tastes while likely evolve, and most likely evolve fairly quickly if you’re just getting into wines. Even now that I’m honing in on what I like, most of the time I buy 3 to 4 bottles rather than cases because I want to try a wide variety of producers. And I can afford to splurge here or there on 3 expensive bottles but it’s difficult to buy a case of expensive bottles.

1 Like

add vodka to sekt to get supa rekt

2 Likes

I have no clue what would be available overseas but can answer any specific questions about Australian wine if anyone ever has any.