The Battle For Female Bodily Autonomy: The Right's War on Women

That may be, but that is not what I have been referring to since I started posting on this topic. I’m talking about what is going to happen once the legislature makes good on their threat to pass laws rendering the judiciary irrelevant. That will embolden and give cover to these sexist law enforcement fuckers.

What I am much more interested in is the word salad laws these idiots are going to try to pass.

Loss of medical license in their state of residence, even if only temporary, is a massive cost.

That’s true. I still think that providers in Ohio will be a whole lot harder to scare now than they would have been before. Or compared to providers in TX, for example.

Grew up in a small town in a rural county in Michigan. Lots of folks are holier than thought would be more than happy to turn in their neighbor. And of those folks, they tend to run for office and win.

Now try it with a Trump DOJ

The abortions will mostly be conducted in blue counties with Dem district attorneys.

Whatever instinct there was to Fuck You, No when Roe was handed down went away quickly. The statutes that existed banning abortion were still there, but no one got arrested because they were obviously unconstitutional.

1 Like

Yeah kind of a weird take to think that elected DAs and sheriffs won’t arrest people based on this. Cops harassed and arrested gay men based on unconstitutional sodomy laws for years after Lawrence. But again, the point is to continue to create confusion and scare off providers rather than actually get convictions.

How does DOJ get involved in this scenario? We’re still talking about Ohio state laws, right?

Biden DOJ will drive court fight against OHio in Federal court. Trump DOJ will side with Ohio (where Ohio ignores its own constitution).

If DOJ only gets involved once we get to appeals, then I don’t know how much it matters. This is a massive hot button issue. Both sides will have (what they perceive to be) the A team in there. Sure DOJ might help a bit, but I don’t think it’s much. Maybe the lawbros can chime in here.

That’s the kind of political stunt people do when they want to become Governor or Senator. Again, to me, the big difference here is that this isn’t the normal GOP thing of using inaction to make waves. This is doing an overt unpopular action that is contrary to the will of the voters.

It just doesn’t fly for me that a sheriff or D.A. wants to move up to mayor in a town where that gambit can work. The people of Ohio spoke and they want abortion protection in the Constitution. It’s political career suicide to go arrest women who get abortions at some stupid state legislator’s request against the Constitution unless your aspiration really is being the Mayor of some tiny town instead of having the cushy sheriff or D.A. jobs that ‘mean’ something in those towns.

I know a lot of people on this site don’t believe oaths matter, but they are supposed to be serving their Constitution and not the legislators.

Yes because not every part of the state feels the same way about the issue so being anti abortion can be in certain places (which is relevant for House races) and because of partisan polarization it can be more important to win primaries than generals, and anti-abortion stances can be very popular amongst Republican primary voters and some donors.

If this referendum sent such a clear message to legislators, then wouldn’t you think they’d be quiet for a while? The fact that some of them are doubling down shows that either (a) they still think they have the politically right stance for their specific voters and or (b) they are true believers who are willing to make political sacrifices for the cause. Just like there are legislators who fall into one or both of those categories, there will be cops, prosecutors and judges who fall into those categories, too.

1 Like

As @Bigoldnit pointed out, this is doesn’t fit at all with the reasoning you are laying out:

If you’re correct, I’ll look forward to seeing actual doofuses try this because it certainly will make national news if someone is arrested. And I think the Ohio legislature is special in how they operate, so no it’s not weird at all to me that they’d flout the will of the voters right after it happened. I’m not talking about being a Congressperson as higher aspirations, I mean Senator/Governor.

1 Like

Like I just said to her, the Ohio legislature is a special case and I don’t find them posturing right after strange at all. When people start getting arrested, bring it up. Inaction is the GOP’s M.O. This is action and that’s where we’re in disagreement about what can happen.

ffs. The problem isn’t people getting arrested it’s providers declining to perform abortions due to legal ambiguity.

3 Likes

Ding ding ding

It’s way worse than that. Many hospitals are just shutting down ALL services related to child birth because the legal risk is too high. Women’s general healthcare is getting decimated far beyond just abortion services.

No one is disagreeing with that.

This is just a separate discussion about what specific localities might do. This would be in addition to the problem that you (and others) have mentioned.

There are for sure hundreds if not thousands of DAs who will prosecute an illegal abortion.