The 2024 Hurricane Season - Helene Heading to FLA Panhandle

Someone’s going to figure out how to exploit that and register a bunch of burner phones to addresses in areas that just got smashed by hurricanes.

1 Like

Not sure the best place to put this, but I know we had some Florida home insurance discussion here.

Have a friend in Orlando area whose home insurance doubled from $1.7k → $3.4k this year. I’m sure it probably ticked up 20+% in previous years too. I also would imagine (hope) that properties much closer to the ocean and gulf should be seeing even larger jumps.

Yeah. Its crazy down here. I’m about seven miles from the ocean, and they wanted to charge me $5,400, but I raised my deductible to 10k and got it down to $3,800. I think Nicole is coming to my house tonight for a late night dinner. 75 MPH doesn’t stoke fear like 130 MPH would, but I’ve got my shutters up and hope my soffits stay in place during Nicole’s visit.

3 Likes

I hope you weather the storm safely. I’m about a mile from the ocean just south of where it’s supposed to hit. Here’s to hoping it doesn’t get a lot stronger than they are projecting.

I’m hoping it goes north of me, but that seems unlikely. If it hits in Jensen Beach/Stuart area, it’ll be just south of me. It should be relatively quick regardless. And if you’re in PBC, then yeah, should be fine. We’ll see.

1 Like

Mavs v Magic game got moved up to 5:30pm ET because of storm.

Yeah, PBC.

Looks like Florida is going to get…it

https://twitter.com/newhanoverco/status/1590437920812531712?s=46&t=JJH1uSvcTCCFddH9C0ZXnw

6 Likes

Looks like Philly is going to get a ——
Bath.

1 Like

I survived Nicole. There’s a huge difference between a cat 1 and even a category 2 hurricane. I wouldn’t really even put Nicole in cat 1. It made landfall slightly north of me, so maybe I missed the strongest winds. I napped through it.

3 Likes

I’m down in Hollywood for a work conference. it’s not even raining here. not really a storm worth stressing over

“There’s no politics at the beach, everyone gets along,” Martin said, adding that his community and those surrounding Wilbur-By-The-Sea are keeping his spirits high.

Why would you say that in this situation? Does it matter?

“Everything happened very fast with this one,” he said. “But we’re going to rebuild, we’ve got this.”

What could go wrong. Some people arent suffering enough yet to maybe think whats going on here and if that would be a wise decision.

“I think this caught a lot of people off guard,” she said. “How do you prepare for this? People can’t prepare for it.”

Are you fkn kidding me? Have they heard of climate change and rising sea levels? Thats why I sometimes think the hurricanes should line up like on a string of pearls and crash into Texas, Louisiana, Florida etc… until even the last one realizes that this might be a problem going forward.

2 Likes

When he says the community has no politics, what he means is there are no pesky liberals there with inconvenient facts.

If you go on Google Maps, you can see what the beach looked like in 2013 and it’s pretty insane. I’m curious how this particular stretch of beach got so fucked up.

Right, nobody in his area is saying words like “climate” or “change” or asking him stupid questions like, “Are you sure it’s a good idea to rebuild your home here when a small Cat 1 washed the land right out from under it?”

DeSantis found an excuse to stop embarrassing himself on the campaign trail.

I’m getting pretty tired of being a duck in Mother Nature’s shooting gallery. Right now, on Florida’s east coast and not in the cone, but it’s really just a matter of time, isn’t it? It’s making me wonder if there’s anywhere I’d like to be instead. Someplace without huge weather extremes, but with decent gambling options and nice, somewhat liberal people. Where?

California.

Somewhere affordable? Nope, nowhere.

1 Like

NE. Somewhere in the middle of Foxwoods, Mohegan, Encore & Springfield

1 Like