The 2024 Hurricane Season - Helene Heading to FLA Panhandle

~0. On this I agree with the nothing matters crowd.

wow, the balls to do it right before midterms. of course no dem is going to capitalize on it

Yeah, something along these lines seems the way to go.

This is a gift. Dems need to fucking use it.

Has anyone seen any DeSantis reaction to this yet? Puts him in a bit of a pickle, doesn’t it? By seeking aid, is he thus going against the entire Florida Republican delegation? And not seeking aid? Especially for a largely Republican area? Also wondering what DeSantis thinks about mail-in ballots or what voting procedures should look like in Fort Myers area.

I’m guessing Ft Meyers is blue since it’s a coastal area, right? I’m also guessing he therefore thinks that there should be no mail in voting.

Florida is still getting its relief money. The are playing no harm no foul. Idiots.

Nope. Largely Republican. 43% vs 25% with the rest not affiliated or with fringe parties. Lee County has not voted for a Democratic Presidential candidate since FDR.

Seems like the play is for Biden to publicly ask the Florida delegation if he should veto the funds at their behest and make them go on the record publicly to either explicitly reject the funds or to beg him for them and talk about why they voted against them.

5 Likes

At the very least call these fuckers out at the signing.

Fort Myers Beach is red, Fort Myers is blue. The county overall is red.

Fort Myers Beach is where I saw this

1 Like

Fort Myers Beach got it worse, but Fort Myers got it bad as well. Lee County includes both and it is hugely Republican in registration, though there’s a large share of independent voters.

Looking on the bright side, we can be pretty confident that flag (and the roof that’s holding it) is no longer there.

1 Like

musk/desantis make a formidable headline generation and photo-op couple.

https://twitter.com/stevenchung/status/1575687033946636288?s=46&t=sT73pbtqXfYQZVAlrDGReQ

4 Likes

This drone footage gave me a better sense of the damage than pictures.

https://twitter.com/brianemfinger/status/1576231515935031297?s=20&t=rshCC9vZn6WmXuqTnqadVg

1 Like

My brother says his old neighborhood on Pine Island is destroyed. Friends rode it out in someone’s stilt house on the far end of the island.

Things are going to get a little cramped at the local landfill aren’t they? Where do they relocate all of this wreckage?

Mobile Home Parks within storm surge areas seems like a bad idea.

FMP