The 2024 Hurricane Season - Helene Heading to FLA Panhandle

The Southernmost Point cam has a neat weather button

1 Like

Nobody’s out there now, and it’s no longer anywhere near dry. Looks like it’s under a foot or two of water now.

Gonna need @zikzak to comment on hurricane-proofness of that. Actually, general architectural critique would also be welcome.

2 Likes

Shipping container homes are hurricane proof and can be cheap.

Geodesic dome homes can also withstand hurricanes.

1 Like

This is a well-known home that sold for $1.3 million in 2021.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1005-Ariola-Dr-Pensacola-Beach-FL-32561/191430928_zpid/

Perhaps the most iconic home on Pensacola Beach is for sale! This geodesic Dome Home was built in 2003 (renovated in 2020-21), and is a solid concrete and steel, aerodynamic hurricane resistant home, a veritable fortress. This home is famous. The monolithic structure has been featured on HGTV’s “Amazing Vacation Homes,” The Weather Channel’s “Storm Stories, Ivan vs The Dome Home,” the Discovery Channel and the Travel Channel. See more detail on the home’s origin, design, construction, etc., in the “Building History of the Pensacola Dome Home” in the online documents section of this listing. The NBC News/Weather team rode out Ivan safely ensconced in the Dome Home. Of course there is the WOW factor, but beyond that, it is ideal for a large family, a vacation oasis or an investment property.

https://twitter.com/feliciacombstwc/status/1574906432775913472?s=46&t=TY8EXO5ogBxyv8efmyotqw

Severe tornadoes reported around Hollywood. Tornados… in Florida. Whew.

Most of Florida is already flooded or close to it from the last two weeks of rain. This has the chance to be a never before seen flooding event for western and central Florida.

Ryan Hall has been great. He’s taking a break at the moment but good content.

1 Like

Nah, Florida gets tons of rain, it’s really good at dealing with flooding from rain. Certainly the south west coast of Florida could see catastrophic flooding, but it won’t be from the rain. Central Florida will be fine.

You may very well be right but isn’t Central Florida going to get 12 inches or so of rain from this? I’m seeing maps like this and may just be misinterpreting them.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Geostrophic/status/1574923851170865157?s=20&t=cUZ9nw2iG50PW7fNBYaziA

Twelve inches really isn’t that crazy for Florida. Back when I was managing my family’s farm in north Florida, we got 22” of rain in two days. It fucked up our potato crop, but didn’t really phase anything else. It all drained off in a couple days.

Florida from Lake Okeechobee south has one of the most sophisticated drainage systems in the world. It should be fine outside of areas that get wrecked by storm surge.

1 Like

To be clear, this graphic isn’t necessarily wrong. There will be flooding, but most areas in Florida are very good at dealing with crazy amounts of water, so it drains very quickly.

Whelp I just got a Tornado warning.

2 Likes

I had a hot tip that he requested 3 different colored sharpies.

I think he’s smart enough to play it straight and get glowing coverage from the lol media

Hopefully, he will commit enough unforced errors to cost him re-election.

It gonna rain

1 Like

I’m also curious about the flip side of this coin: How is FEMA/Biden going to react?