The 2023 Hurricane Season - Idalia makes landfall

Lake Charles is 40 miles inland. It’s not like they on the gulf.

I was amused by the relative comfort of the camera crew. A couple of guys casually using their phones. No big deal for them.

Apparently someone was willing to rent a satellite truck to Jim Cantore, lol.

Hope they got the extra insurance.

Holy shit, the eye is over land and it’s still got sustained 140 mph winds. It’s been over land for probably like 90 minutes now, right? You’d think it would be quite a bit weaker than that.

Winds were probably higher than 150 mph sustained. Post analysis I’m sure this will be upgraded to a Cat 5. Lake Charles having 130 mph winds and the city is 40 miles inland.

Just started watching a utube stream of hurricane coverage with a live-chat…

someone commented ‘Fake Laura’

lol gg

that’s what you’re up against, Chads, in your mission to grow consensus for the cause. fertile and fickle minds

It seems sub-optimal for Cantore and Abrams to be commenting how they appear to be inside the eye but also both say the radar is from Houston and it’s not reliable. They’re both standing in debris fields with the southern eye wall headed straight for them at a time they can’t tell for sure. That means they could get huge winds with almost no warning. This seems so dumb.

So is it possible Congress will be able to come together and bail out trump and give these states emergency relief funds since trump looted fema?

It’s the right thing to do regardless. Part of me wants dems to demand they pass unemployment help through the transition of power phase but they’d get destroyed politically and Republicans would love it and just not pass anything fucking more people and taking all the blame for " playing politics "

Wasn’t there once two at the same time?

Now it’s category 2. Still sucks (especially with covid) but it won’t be Katrina.

And you know Fox News is gonna be 24/7 about black people looting.

I remember immediately after Katrina hit the consensus was they dodged a bullet, and then over the next few hours all hell broke loose. Hopefully not the same case here.

1 Like

Knock on wood it seems like the 10-20 foot storm surge predictions didn’t come to fruition.

2 Likes

I don’t remember exactly how it played out. Was this because people didn’t anticipate the levee failures?

Maybe they got lucky with the tides?

Can’t explain that.

5 Likes

They were clearly worried about levee failures, but I believe the morning after they thought they had held. And then the water kept coming.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/jribas/status/1298991765156839427?s=21

10 Likes