The 2023 Hurricane Season - Idalia makes landfall

Katrina wreaked havoc with petroleum supplies. It’s not just the refineries. It the huge pipelines that originate in that area and can easily get shut down by these types of storms

1 Like

Glad this one is going to miss me but it is always bittersweet because I know someone else is going to get hit. Cate 4 direct is a disaster that you don’t want to be involved in. I’ve experienced a few 3+ storms over 35 years in FL. My advice is always to leave town a day out if the storm is currently a 2-3. They often strengthen 1 rating and a 4 or higher will spawn a lot of tornadoes. Best of luck to anyone in the path.

1 Like

The National Hurricane Center now says the storm surge could reach up to 40 miles inland. Like, to be clear here for people, that’s the ocean coming 40 miles inland.

I’ve spent more time working in lake Charles than I should have, but most of the people I’ve worked with there are ride it out type people. I hope people are listening to the warnings.

That’s a lot, and it’s bad, but it’s mostly 40 miles of this:

4 Likes

Apparently Rita’s storm surge was 8 feet. How high that gets in any one area depends so much on the direction of the storm and other random factors, but 20 feet in Lake Charles would be unreal. Hope they’re wrong.

1 Like

Yes, but there are towns there. Looks like the two parishes in for a direct hit are Calcasieu parish, which has over 200K residents. That’s where Lake Charles is. The more coastal one is Cameron Parish, which thankfully “only” has 7K residents.

Just saw a report that it’s shifted north a little, better for Houston, even worse for LA :(

Right but demand isn’t what it was then nationally because covid.

It looks like it’s going to shut down most of the coast in any case, for some time.

We’re up to 150 mph sustained winds, and still 4.5 to 5 hours to go until landfall. Cat 5 is 157. This thing is probably going to hit 155 by midnight EST, if it keeps strengthening all the way to landfall it’ll hit Cat 5. But some models have it weakening at the end, so maybe it won’t be quite that bad.

Still not the most dangerous Laura on TV tonight

9 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/willnunley/status/1298825494717247488?s=10

I think you’re supposed to count the 7 feet as an addition to the sea wall. So it’s probably effectively 23 feet.

I’m sure Americas finest swamp drainer will be onto it in a flash.

2 Likes

I haven’t watched hurricane coverage probably since Katrina, but Stephanie Abrams seems to be being very dumb right now in Lake Charles.

I’ll say this, if anybody over there is thinking on their feet, they’d scrap whatever bullshit they have planned for night 4 of the convention and fly him down somewhere near this thing and have him pantomime an I’m-on-top-of-it hurricane response. Americans seem to eat that shit up.

Maybe he can get a hug from Beto while he’s there.

3 Likes

It will be long gone in 20 hours. This sucker is moving very fast.

Had to look up who this person is.

First I see this:

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/1298850679243579392

Then I see this:

https://twitter.com/TheMattSaffer/status/1298842998143430656

If I remember correctly, Jim and Stephanie like to be as close to the action as possible but not in the path. It seems they’ve miscalculated. Weather Channel where she is sounds like a Tie Fighter fight right now.

This is about the time where Stephanie should be questioning her life choices. Where they are is not safe, but she keeps saying it is.