Tenet (beware spoilers)

Great video essay so far. LOL at him saying the reason Nolan’s jokes are actually bad exposition in disguise is because they aren’t funny.

It is so bad it’s not really worth the time to write a detailed review. For sure Nolan’s worst film. It’s sort of a distillation of all the bad traits he has.

2 Likes

Cliffs (cribbed from JT)

1 Like

I just watched it last night

Meh.

Honestly if Nolan’s name wasn’t on it I would say it is a really bad time travelesque movie that tried to be too clever by three halves. Since Nolan wrote and directed it, just Meh.

Certainly didn’t make me support his recent rant against Warner Brothers. That movie would not have been any better in a theater.

Plus not really cool w the last exchange between DenzelSon and TeamEdward.

movies better than Tenet

Http://IMDb.com

1 Like

I tried watching it again and made it about 1.5 hours in. I’ve now read a fair amount of analysis and understand the hardly straightforward and more than a little redundant plot, and not just in the “well that’s a feature of a plot about inverted time.”

So I thought it would be fun to watch again and simply appreciate the execution. The dialogue and character interactions are a lot better than I remember, lots of subtle touches I missed, but I can’t get past how much of the movie requires 210% of my attention to follow. I appreciated how interdependent every element was on the first run, but this is never going to be an easy watch.

I think this is a joke worthy of TeneT because it’s like “who’s on first” and works backwards and forwards.

You explain to a cashier what their job is and what they shouldn’t be doing.

“Hey, come now, we hired you to check people out, not to check them out.”

“I wasn’t checking anyone out.”

“I saw you checking them out.”

“I can see why you’d think that, but I was just checking them out.”

“Okay, but just so we’re clear, you’re not allowed to check people out. We hired you to check them out.”