Summer LC thread

I’m on Team suzzer here. If you’ve never been to Backpackistan you should experience it first-hand so you can understand. It is a thoroughly revolting experience that reflects incredebily poorly on young travelers from the western world.

1 Like

@suzzer99… Is liberal actually liberal in the UK?

I considered myself Liberal in the UK sence in that I stand for just Laws, common sence laws and Order. And accept outcomes of the Justice/courts.

I agree that we are not a fully Liberal country and seem to be heading away from common sence/Laws.

I have always assumed Liberal and social services came hand in hand alough I could be wrong.

Someone is believing the hype and is gonna be watching Fox news in 5 years. Surfers on welfare eating lobster. We are doomed as a species.

Surfers on Welfare is a great band name.

3 Likes

No, you’re arguing for laws that are and will be used to beat and jail homeless people. AFTER there is housing for them you can talk about whether they are compassionate or not. You have no way to even estimate what kind of problem there is in a world where homeless people all have the option of being housed. Not in the United States anyway.

Even then I’d be against vagrancy laws. If the issue is someone refuses help because they are not competent to make decisions that’s a different issue, but it doesn’t mean that simply being broke and not having a home should be illegal and allow the state to make decisions for you.

I had a roommate in college who was a welfare living surf bum for a while in AUS. Now he’s a doctor in AUS. I’m a neoliberal who believes in regulation and incentives. I also think hyping edge cases often leads to solutions that are worse than the original problem. For every policy there are emotional examples of failure and free riders. The question is how much misery we are willing to impose on the invisible non-free-riders to squelch free-riders.

What I mean is - is the liberal party actually the left wing? Isn’t liberal the right wing in Aussie?

Yes - none of this is based on personal experience for me. Just getting mad at stuff I read on the interwebs.

Yes, but this was in San Diego. He was visiting for a year from AUS.

Liberal Dems in UK are basically centrists.

Hint: hit the little quote icon so I know what you’re replying to. image

1 Like

Who’s lefty and who’s righty? Are there more than 2 parties?

Labour are left. Conservatives (also known as Tories) are right. Lib Dems are roughly centrists.

1 Like

I’m reading a Pulitzer Prize winning book at the moment, Barbarian Days, where the author bummed around Europe and Hawaii for a while with no money. He didn’t seem to beg, but lived off odd jobs and the kindness of others. Oh, and food stamps while he was surfing in Hawaii and working at a bookstore. Sometimes a bit of looseness in society is an overall good.

1 Like

Yes. There’s a very distasteful attitude that leads to people being willing to make an entire system much much worse in order to try to prevent some people from taking advantage. People will lose orders of magnitude more money trying to save some. Also, it’s not all in good faith obviously.

I think the problem is that it is in good faith, but people react emotionally to specific situations and not aggregate effects. Like kill unions, because some people are lazy. Kill regulations because they can sometimes be inefficient. Leave the EU because some people mooch. Stop amnesty because someone may be getting away with something. Really, in one form or another, I think this is the fundamental issue in law and public policy.

1 Like

Is the mace still safe?

If it’s not then they have to elect a new queen or something.

They can also choose a knight, a bishop or a rook - but rarely do.

5 Likes