Stonks & Bonds. lol fundamentals, sir this is a Taco Bell

better than blood on the sheets tho :point_up:t3:

Charity isn’t always fiscal. And I thinks it’s un-debateable poorer people give a higher % of their free time and money to charity (formal charities or informal charity in the form of community care). Not trying to derail a derail just being nitpicky.

% I would agree. But big % of small number helps less.

Time is another factor. It’s hard to volunteer when you’re working multiple jobs to make ends meet.

I don’t think it is debatable that people with more free time volunteer more.

That would be the time to sell.

I mentioned the time but then deleted from my post because it was too obvious but yeah you brought it up. % still stands from a time pov. Maybe even from an actual point of view I’d suspect poor people do give more real (not proportionate) time to charity and their wider community. Anecdotally (experience in Australia and Poland) this has been true for what I’ve seen. Maybe it’s an American thing (you are the only country on earth with many middle class Christians left). But again I’ll shut up on this derail as it is probably boring for everyone.

:rofl:

Immoral is too strong a word, and probably inaccurate by its definition. Amoral is better.

Investing is unconcerned with moral outcomes, and if you try to prioritize both there’s a decent chance you’re getting grifted. Better to get government intervention to ensure the market delivers more just outcomes, through regulation, fiscal policy, social safety net, justice system reform, etc. In a functional society, that is its role.

Failing that (and that is indeed failing), then take direct action and devote time and money to causes you think will actually help people. If you have a professional capacity to help people, then do so, and not only to those who can pay market rates for it. Most importantly, make friends with needy people and help them when they’re in need.

FWIW I don’t see a substantial difference between buying a green ETF, buying a random ETF, holding cash, or buying government bonds. Basically the same outcome: the super rich people and hedge funds arb everything so capital goes everywhere it needs to despite whatever you might do. There’s no immorality premium for investing in a coal company versus a vegetarian foods company. The big money dgaf.

In other words, trying to use your money to passively make the world a better place is futile. Focus on the good you can do directly in people’s lives with your privilege instead. (Or, make peace with the fact you don’t really do anything good besides vote a certain way, and get off your high horse—not directed at you specifically of course.)

5 Likes

how’s that tesla stock going

bahahahahahahhaha

this is because where you think it should go just ends up being a waste of money in the end a lot of the time

On balance, you are accepting lower long term returns and impacting the balance of the cost of capital for firms (not) meeting ESG criteria, which ain’t nothing.

New year, new layoffs

Jobless claims down, therefore not stonks. Beatings will continue until morale improves.

1 Like

Market still just doesnt believe/isnt pricing in the Fed will raise rates to 5.5% or so then leave them there well into 2024 although that is likely whats going to happen even in a mild to moderate recession scenario.

Oh great economic news you say? Better sell then… this market makes zero sense. The economy is still roaring, inflation is coming down, and everyone is saying there’s a recession coming because rates are going to go up more.

My prediction: market rallies >30% in the next 6 months.

:vince3:

We’ll see. -30% seems more likely than 30% IMO, although both are unlikely extremes.

I dont see what could cause that violent of a rally. Can see scenarios of a relief rally but 30% up would basically get back to the highs and I dont really see how the Wayfair’s and TSLA’s of the world get back to previous highs with 5.5% rates.

The news decreases the likelihood of a Fed pivot in the near future. No fed pivot = not stonks.

Of course, a pivot was already unlikely given what Jerome Powell said in the last FOMC meeting, and given the FOMC minutes that were released yesterday. But the market seems to be partly in denial still like LetsGambool2 said.

The stock market is how rich people are feeling, not wage slaves. Good news for wage slaves is bad news for people who want to pay them less.

1 Like

Part of this is because it doesnt really make sense to keep going full Volcker. Inflation is already coming down quickly.

But crushing workers feels sooooo good.

2 Likes