Speculating about the origin of the coronavirus

Psst, it’s only US that thinks the scary CCP are holding back facts.

If you can believe for a minute that they are releasing all info they know, and maybe just leading the world in finding out, seeing as though their at least 3 months ahead of the world, then all the bitching won’t make sense.

Until then, wrap a t-shirt round your face. Not that the Chinese are using T-shirts.

i’m not even going that far. i believe the cables were sent and i believe people were concerned about the safety of the lab. the lab was trying to be accredited as the top level highest safety, it’d be weird if there weren’t any concerns about safety.

the link in the article that suggests other scientists were worried about the dangerous methods the lab was using has this editor’s note at the top of the article:

We are aware that this story is being used as the basis for unverified theories that the novel coronavirus causing COVID-19 was engineered. There is no evidence that this is true; scientists believe that an animal is the most likely source of the coronavirus.

https://www.nature.com/news/engineered-bat-virus-stirs-debate-over-risky-research-1.18787?WT.mc_id=TWT_NatureNews

1 Like

Umm. Definitely not sure if serious?

1 Like

I read that 3x and I have no idea what you’re saying. No one itt is insisting the US govt is honest about anything.

1 Like

Not a single person ITT is arguing at all that this was likely engineered. I’m not sure why you keep pointing out a concern that some people might think it was engineered when we don’t seem to have that problem here in our discussion.

1 Like

But everyone assumes / is brainwashed to assume the Chinese govt. is the same as the US govt.

See I knew this was going to happen. I get to arguing that I don’t think you can just shut the door on the lab theory and everyone will jump on me for sounding like I’m insisting it’s the most likely scenario. I have never thought it was the most likely scenario, or even close. I just think from everything we know it’s folly to insist that C19 couldn’t have come from a lab screwup.

The true idiots imo are the ones insisting the Chinese did this on purpose - which of course makes zero sense.

And yes - my point is that bats may have had C19 floating around in them for 5000 of years of Chinese wet markets - but only now did it jump to humans - could theoretically be one slight data point in favor of the virology lab screwup hypothesis.

Which AGAIN I don’t think is the most likely scenario. If I had to bet I’d want 10-1.

1 Like

Yeah why are people here trying to fight for right wing propaganda points that exist with no evidence?

I don’t get your point. We know these wet markets have been responsible for previous outbreaks and like all the experts were telling us it’s only a matter of time before yet another outbreak happens but somehow people are worried about this lab.

because the idea that it accidentally mutated this ability to infect humans in a lab is ridiculous. there are millions of bats out in the wild mutating every day and like 200-500 bats in that lab probably

2 Likes

The Chinese govt has clearly not been forthcoming with everything about this virus. And they also have a pretty terrible track record when it comes to honesty. It’s hard to believe I even had to type those words.

1 Like

Do you really think we’re going to get direct evidence of this, ever? The evidence is circumstantial, but it’s strong enough to at least not shut the door on the lab escape theory.

There’s also no evidence you can’t catch covid again, yet. But we’re all assuming based on the way other coronaviruses act.

I hope China destroys the US when we go to war.

2 Likes

It’s 2020 bro… I and anyone outside US would have agreed with you >20yrs ago

And we also know that the Wuhan lab was probably deemed unsafe in the past, and studying bat viruses. Your position basically amounts to “nothing can go wrong at a virology lab” which I equate to “nothing can go wrong in a nuclear reactor”.

1 Like

How do I get sucked into these things every weekend? Argh.

I think some of you struggle with the idea of plausible vs likely.

China doing it on purpose? Not plausible. Dick Cheney bringing down the towers? Not plausible. The lab studying bat viruses accidentally releasing a bat virus? Plausible.

It seems like everybody itt agrees it most likely did NOT come from the lab, and you’re all arguing over whether the lab-origination possibility is 2%, 0.1%, or 0.0001%? Is that correct? That’s what the past 100 posts have been about?

6 Likes

So the US being horrible somehow now excuses China for also being horrible?

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

Yes. Good summation. Ok now it can stop.

1 Like