That’s helpful.

2 Likes

I like this, but maybe a bit narrow? How about pre-1950?

Micro says, “Nah, 40s seem pretty broad. Anyway, there is so much recorded in the 40s than before that.”

Microbet says, that 1930s are fine too but nothing else. I’ll change the above category

There appears to have been some serious negotiations going on in the car

1 Like

The poll indicated 90% could do this category. But based on what is below, let me know if I’m going to regret giving this category to you.

Category host name: Pauwl
Category: Honky Tonk Heroes : Country or country adjacent music.
Most of the “Country” music I listen to is considered “Country & Folk”, so it’s not really pure country. Also some Alt. Country or Country inspired Americana. I love stuff with pedal steel. I’m being vague so I’ll list some artists and give some examples (These are all off the table for submissions ofc).
Dave Rawlins and Gillian Welch
Townes Van Zandt
Doc Watson
Bonnie Prince Billy / Palace Brothers
Ryan Adams (certain songs)
These next two I thought were country but they are listed as “country and folk”
Whitney Rose
Sam Outlaw

I fell in love with Emmylou Harris recently

Or just go Outlaw Country

Don’t enter modern pop country or Garth Brooks type crap. For Country Country, go way back (before the 80’s at least).

Musical tastes: Indie rock, folk, blues, gospel, old fingerpicking music and a bunch of other genres that won’t help you here.
Any other judging notes: Overly familiar songs will be punished (unless I’ve never heard it before) . I’ll try to keep an open mind here, but the song should have some sort of country music element.

4 Likes

This is perhaps my favorite category ever.

4 Likes

„Who are people who have never been in my kitchen?“

4 Likes

I don’t understand a word of what you wrote

Maybe my category will give people songs to enter into your category :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seems to be progressing nicely, even down to the mild Category bickering. Personally I will enjoy spoken word as I’ve been marked down several times when philistines people complain they’re not actually singing. I was also looking forward to Pauwl’s, but then he mentioned everyone I like in the category description.

Anyway, I make it 12 confirmed contestants, 13 if crash_face joins (I wouldn’t let numbers worry you, we’ll have a week+ to gather songs).

That’s already a perfectly nice amount, but some more wouldn’t go amiss. I never know whether to advertise elsewhere or @ past participants. Maybe we should?

2 Likes

Can you ask @microbet if he’s deliberately excluding music written in the 30s & 40s but then performed later, or is that fine? (As in someone ‘faithfully’ performing a score or something, rather than a cover version.)

yeah i literally know nothing about country but why list so many names (which disqualifies them) in a category where most people’s knowledge is already limited?

I wasn’t complaining just making a “wry observation” as he really did list almost all the people I’d thought of off the top of my head. I understand why, picking a Category you think people might be down on seems bad but you don’t want a bunch of songs you hate so worth trying, and examples are a helpful to know what a category even is. I get what you’re saying too, though. It’s tricky.

Country music goes back decades. There are tons of musicians to pick from.

2 Likes

Written and performed. If you’re thinking Gershwin or something like that, not a bad thought, but I don’t want to take the chance that someone submits Harry Connick Jr…

Fair play, and you’re in luck as I just found a version of what I wanted to submit recorded contemporaneously!

1 Like

Do you really think you would have settled on any of those artists with no examples given? If you know nothing about country music, then use the artists listed as a road map. You can literally google “artists similar to X” or “contemporaries of x” and you’re on your way. Country is a huge music genre with thousands of artists I do not know. The two videos I posted should open up all kinds of doors.

1 Like

Out. Sorry all. Might be gone for a bit. Good luck, have fun.

1 Like

@microbet stole my category idea. Recalculating…

1 Like