There’s never been a rookies Walrus. It’s always dominated by regulars and it’s trial by fire for newcomers. You really don’t have to do research on past Walruses. If you’re new, each category host will state what their musical preferences are and you can pretty much go off that. I still primarily go by that.

It would be much easier for you to enter a Solo Walrus hosted by someone else. Then you just have enter songs for 5 categories and don’t have to judge anything. Grab Bag Walruses are alot of work, where you have to submit like 13 songs and judge/rank your own category of 13 songs.

2 Likes

It’s just for fun. No research needed.

2 Likes

My last one was my rookie walrus and I finished in third

2 Likes

OK I will check on # of entries later and decide then

1 Like

We are all likely to have to do a little bit of research to find a good song for some of the categories we’re less familiar with. I certainly will if there’s some type of country/Americana category.

It’s really not difficult though. Just try to follow the individual tastes listed.

1 Like

I’ll offer my services as a submission consultant to any who want it. I’d be happy to help and especially to widen the Walrus pool. My one tiny condition is that you have to submit what I say and if you win I get the points. Just a way for everyone to have more fun!

4 Likes

I was going to post these lists later because they are still a work in progress but maybe they can make the prospect of participating less daunting:

Walrus History - CanadaMatt3004

Walrus History - cassette

Walrus History - eyebooger

Walrus History - Louis Cyphre

Walrus History - Mjiggy

Walrus History - nano

Walrus History - Pauwl

Walrus History - seities

Walrus History - superuberbob

Walrus History - Yuv

4 Likes

In. I have finals in 2 weeks so I probably can’t go then

7 Likes

Category host name: nano
Category: Songs that tell a consistent story. The chorus can repeat but it has to have storytelling elements and a plot you can make out.
Something like The Devil Went Down To Georgia - The Charlie Daniels Band
Musical tastes: Pretty diverse. Not a big fan of screamo type stuff but some can slip by. I know that song is country but I am also not a big fan of the newer country. Everything else i will probably like.
Any other judging notes: I am primarily judging it on how much I like it. If there is a story in a song that I think is particularly interesting or well written that will help.

4 Likes

Seems like I am not good on mobile, will edit later

Looks like this needs permissions changed to be able to access without an invite/request?

2 Likes

My bad. Should be fixed now.

1 Like

For the privacy nits, clicking these links might out your email address and name FYI.

1 Like

If there is space, @microbet is in

4 Likes

yeah sure i’m in

Category host name: Yuv
Category: A song you found thanks to Walrus.
It could be a artist submitted to your category that you explored.
Something you researched and didn’t end up submitting.
Anything you think a Walrus helped you found.
If you can’t think of any or new to Walrus, find a song you’ve never heard of and now you do have a Walrus song.
Musical tastes: I enjoy thigs with a groove.
Any other judging notes: Do not send songs already submitted in the past. Search forum if you’re not sure. It will be nice if you explain how you first heard the song, but it’s not gonna effect the scoring.

6 Likes

In other words, submit anything because how will you be able to check if we’re being on honest?

if you’re not honest in sending a walrus song you have bigger problems than my category

but if people aren’t into it i don’t mind changing the category.

3 Likes

Also are we still dropping low scores and choosing jokers?

See Post #2

1 Like

@microbet is driving so i am typing this out

Category host name: microbet
Category: Written and recorded in the 1930s or 1940s
Music taste: Stuff from the 1930-40s
Judging notes: He has to like it

5 Likes