smrk and lawnmowerman having the same avatar should be grounds for some sort of punitive action.

I also think this walrus has started out on the wrong foot and I’m getting less and less enthused about participating. The butthurt isn’t supposed to start until AFTER you’ve been harshly and unfairly judged despite having great taste in music.

1 Like

Yeah this doesn’t seem very interesting to me as a “game” so I think I’m gonna bail. It looks like there are two different ideas for what is supposed to happen, and the one that is basically people taking turns on the jukebox doesn’t appeal to me. On the other hand, a lot of people do want that and don’t seem to want focused categories that exclude their favorite music. Trying to incorporate both seems suboptimal to the extent that this should be a game that is fun and interesting for everyone.

They are different though and we can prove it because BLOCKCHAIN.

2 Likes

Your category idea might work better for a solo walrus? I just think it requires baseline knowledge that most people don’t have, including other gamers, and lacking that, would be more work than most people prefer to do for a grab bag.

Also on this note, things have unexpectedly accumulated on me the last couple of days in both work and home life which are making it increasingly likely I won’t have time to participate in this walrus either. Still holding out hope but I was expecting quite a lot more free time before going out of town which no longer looks like it’s going to happen.

The grab bag is the only way I could do a category like this because of the required time on my end. Not joking though that my first category was music recorded in the 1940s.

My baseline knowledge is I played games 15 to 30 years ago. It’s not like I sit around studying or listening to this stuff. Outside of an occasional cover on Youtube, the last time I heard most of this is decades ago, but much of it is permanently etched into my brain.

Trying again, these are the categories so far:

3 Likes

Awesome! I have something in mind for about half of these already and looking forward to figuring out the rest :slight_smile:

Question: You typed Monster, but linked Godzilla. I’d argue that they are pretty different songs. Which one did you mean?

1 Like

I feel confident is seities, Jiggy, Pauwl, Louis, crash, and eyebooger. Will need to think a little bit on the rest.

Looking forward to it!

You found some Cameroonian metal already?

metal-archives.com knows 0 metal bands from Cameroon, Chad, Comoros, DR Congo, Rep. Congo, Central African Republic, Cape Verde, Christmas Island, Cook Island, Cocos Island or Cayman Islands.

There are 4 from Cambodia and 1 one from Curacao though.

Sliten6ix Deathcore (early); Black Metal (later) Phnom Penh

i hate their later stuff.

4 Likes

Category Host Name pyatnitski

Category Late Night Vibes
It’s after midnight, everyone else is asleep but you aren’t. Maybe you’re reading too, maybe you’re not. Maybe you have to keep the music quiet, maybe you’ve got your $600 headphones on. Maybe you’re content, maybe you’re not, but you should definitely be asleep, but you’re not.

Musical tastes Jazz, worldwide ‘folk’, noisy or ambient electronics, instrumental / experimental rock, 70s weirdness of most kinds, louder metal, minimalism, idiosyncratic 90s indie bands, dub, old soul & R&B, this and that. Don’t really listen to contemporary mainstream rock. I hate coffeeshop acoustic stuff, but then everyone thinks that even though some of them like it nonetheless.

Notes I have a definite vibe that I go for when it gets late but you don’t have to hit that to score well as I’ll just go by how much I like the song. It might be best if you say a few words about what vibe you’re aiming for, though, as that will eliminate the possibility of me worrying that “this isn’t late night music at all, though, is it?”

5 Likes

My bad, I meant Godzilla (the one I linked to). Ill fix my OP. @Pauwl could you please update the consolidation post as well?

Listening to country music I remember why I don’t like country music. My experience so far in nutshell:

I hope the category features a lot more like “Harlan” and no songs about trucks and boots.

1 Like
1 Like

Yuv and Lawnmower Man are not playing, is that right?

Don’t think so. I’ll do an official category wrap up post with contestants, categories and new instructions + deadlines tomorrow morning.

Still time for sign-ups everyone!

1 Like

Ah thanks, didn’t know there was an official list coming

I’m still a maybe. I want to participate but my time commitments are not cooperating! Will depend on how the next couple of days go and when the deadline is set for submissions. Luckily my category is fairly basic and should not be taking up much of anyone’s time.