Category host name: Canadamatt2230
Category: A song from a top 20 album that was never released as a single.
Musical tastes: I’ve done enough of these that we should know by now. My tastes are more ranging than I used to think when it comes to new stuff. I believe this will be a tough category. I’m looking for a fairly unknown B-side from a popular album that was never released as a single.

3 Likes

What’s the ruling on “a top 20 album”?

Does it just have to be a popular album or does it have to have made a top 20 albums list at some point?

Does any top 20 list count? See below:

I would like to join in.

8 Likes

Just to double confirm that everyone who’s said they’re in so far is IN.

I think we’re at 12 so already a perfectly adequate number. Another 4 or so can join, all welcome. A place still reserved for @smrk4 if he wants it (seems likely given he first mooted the idea, but I’ll do things by the book).

So categories by Friday, and then we can pick a deadline for submissions.

Good luck all, and remember there’s no stupid questions to ask about how this works, but there are ones that are already answered in post 2.

4 Likes

In for regression to the mean.

4 Likes

In

3 Likes

Lets keep it to US charts. Aside from that, any chart should be fine. I wont be overly strict, but the idea is to find a fairly unknown song from a fairly popular act.

Category host name: smrk4
Category: Song written/recorded/released by the artist(s) when they were 40 and over
Musical tastes: Metal but not the screamy kind. Definitely like lots of pop songs but can’t give you a specific formula. Yes for most rock and blues, but with a preference for good guitarists. I liked quite a few things submitted to pyatnitski’s category from the last grab bag. Some electronic, but not the super dancy stuff. Neutral on rap, punk. Country and folk are not no-hopers but you’d be ice skating up a hill.
Any other judging notes: Turning 40 this year, so show me that it’s not all downhill from here. Maybe this is a chance to submit something from a very popular band from a more recent album they did that I’d have no clue about. Or maybe it’s someone who broke through only after 40; that’d be kinda cool, consider that the challenge, although no bonus points. Let me clarify, does not have to be (probably shouldn’t be) a song about turning 40 or anything like that, this just concerns the age of the artist who wrote/performed the song. Oh yeah, don’t submit Metallica or Megadeth, just because I know all of their stuff.

5 Likes

So if it is a band they all had to be over 40 when it was released?

I’ll be forgiving with that, so long as at least one of the main writers or performers of the song is 40+. If some replacement drummer is 19 that’s perfectly fine.

Category host name: superuberbob

Category: Songs released by bands originating from a Slavic country

Musical tastes: My range in both languages and genres is quite diverse. I’m more focused on rock music and don’t really have much concern about the era. I’m less drawn towards mainstream pop and recent rap music but if you find something there and are confident in it, don’t hesitate to submit it. I don’t mind some electronic music at all though I prefer for it to have some lyrics. Steer clear of country music and traditional folk songs (modern covers might be okay) and you’ll be fine.

Judging Notes: There are 13 Slavic countries: Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Montenegro, North Macdeonia, Poland, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Ukraine. The language of the song (most metal, regardless of country is sung in English) will have no bearing on my assessment of it. I have always been an advocate of foreign bands and would love to hear more about them. There’s tons of musical talent that goes unexposed because they’re from the wrong country.

5 Likes

Yay for Walrus.

I’m in and gloriously I’ve been listening to a lot of Polish rap recently so stoked for @superuberbob category

6 Likes

I think it will be too hard of a category for non metal lovers, but let’s see.

It’s another category I thought I was doing fine with until the ‘no folk’ caveat.

1 Like

Oh I never consider other peoples taste, hence my 5 nodiums out of 6 at the end of the previous edition

2 Likes

When I read that category I had two thoughts:

1. I know exactly what I am going to submit
  2. LOL, US-Walrusers

Category host name: Yuv

Category: Popular Songs. The anti-pyat. Songs with at least 10M* views on Youtube.

Judging Notes: Obviously familiarity by itself is a non-issue here, but there’s no extra points for most views. Judgement will be mostly determined by the bingeable factor.
I still think i’m unfamiliar with ton of the popular yootoobz.

Judging Note #2: No punk songs. I dunno how many there would have been, but i’m probably going to be too familiar with it, especially popular ones.

Judging Note #3: I will give extra points to songs I like from genres i don’t like, but I really disliked every “symphonic metal” song in all walrus categories. If it sound like Evanescence i will probably hate it. Send at your own risk.

*10 million views on the link you send me. I’m not tallying up views.

Edit -

Judging Note #4: I will attempt to give Louis 1 point so don’t send songs i might think are his

7 Likes

4 Likes

Well, guess I’m effectively down to one discarded score.

1 Like

Fine ill change my category

1 Like