SARS-CoV-2: Electric Superflu

Meanwhile here in Ohio people seem very determined to confirm every stereotype possible by continuing to gather in large groups, refusing to social distance, calling the whole thing fake news, complaining about the lockdown, making fun of assistance recipients and otherwise validating my decision to GTFO ASAP.

1 Like

DeWine is doing an extremely good job at managing this crisis and I just feel like he’s going to get demolished in the next election.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1243180979558199296?s=21

9 Likes

https://twitter.com/drewbrees/status/1243198949432975360?s=19

Imagine if the entire billionaire class committed 5% of their net worth to helping their communities get through this tough time

6 Likes

NCAA just announced massive cuts in payouts to Universities due to Corona.

I mean I’m a freight broker lol.

er, nope

Italy death toll rises by 712

A total of 712 people have died from the coronavirus in Italy in the last 24 hours, bringing the death toll to 8,215.

It was earlier reported that 662 had died in the last day, but the Civil Protection Agency’s data did not include 50 victims from the Piedmont region.

The new numbers show a spike in deaths after 683 died on Wednesday. That followed 743 deaths on Tuesday, 602 on Monday, 650 on Sunday and a record of 793 on Saturday.

The new infection rate is up again, rising to 80,539 from a previous 74,386 - the highest number of new cases since 21 March, the agency said.

I think part of it is they think they are more likely to be robbed by someone who walks up, but mixing pedestrians and cars in the same line seems pretty dangerous.

Yeah remember when also demanded fealty from governors in exchange for respirators and masks? What an asshole.

right. The exponential curve that we’re measuring in the US is the exponential increase in testing capacity. The actual cases may or may not be increasing exponentially as well but there’s no way to know until there is sufficient testing capacity.

2 Likes

Bodes well for you. My Dad is 78 and still going relatively strong.

But my 4 uncles on my mom’s side and her father, and my dad’s father - all dead or pretty much done by age 65 (stroke, heart attack, dementia, parkinsons, drunkenness).

It’s one of the reasons I play to spend my retirement early and often and let the chips fall where they may if I live to 90.

It’s not simply capacity but the related issue of criteria to be tested. We could be doing some random sampling though to get a better idea without using a whole lot of tests.

sure

My friend who’s a nurse in Kansas City is now quarantined from her son and running a 101 degree fever. I can’t imagine the fear of being a frontline healthcare worker right now.

3 Likes

My wife works at a hospital, and they haven’t been overrun yet. But it’s coming.

Can anyone find Italy broken down by region and showing new cases per day? I’m curious to track the growth in new cases per region (not just the number today, but the trend over the last week). I can’t seem to find the raw data.

UK records biggest death toll increase so far (103)

More from the UK, where the number of people to have died with coronavirus has lept by more than 100 in a day for the first time.

Health officials said the death toll rose from 475 to 578 by 17:00 GMT on Wednesday.

As of 09:00 on Thursday, a total of 104,866 people have been tested with 93,208 negative results.

“committing $5 million to the state of Louisiana” sounds like kind of slippery language, but maybe I’m cynical

1 Like