SARS-CoV-2: Electric Superflu

Does anyone think it’s a selfish act to wear a mask at work?

Why would someone think that?

It’s actually the opposite of selfish. You may have stupid coworkers who don’t grasp that concept, but that’s their problem.

2 Likes

If you raise awareness enough, what if everyone wants a mask? Seems like a “did you bring enough for everyone?” kind of thing.

Not really a controversial statement, but Mao was terrible and a terrible failure. Stalin was probably more of a psycho, but presided over a huge rise in the state of industrialization and standard of living in Russia. The Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution were abysmal failures.

2 Likes

He murdered millions by being a totalitarian, but also his policies were horrible and led to more poverty and famine.

There are amazon workers testing positive in at least 6 Amazon warehouses. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/24/coronavirus-latest-news/#link-T36Y2T2MKRGEBE5GBTRCMI2RNI

That is very not good.

https://gen.medium.com/america-is-a-murder-mystery-and-everyones-a-suspect-7905a1e4bace

I am trying to keep my anger in check, but it’s difficult because I know there’s a way out of this: Everyone goes on lockdown for at least a few weeks, the government pays everyone their lost wages and nationalizes the health care system to make it cost-free, and everyone gets tested. The solution is right there. We could be past this pandemic by now or at least have thoroughly blunted its impact. But that hypothetical was never gonna become reality here because America has proven that it has a death wish. An insatiable one. So saying we could have quashed this outbreak early is like saying the Cleveland Browns could go 16–0 some year. I mean, they could, on paper. Sure. But they’re never gonna do that because they’re the fucking Browns. They make what is possible impossible, and so does America.

4 Likes

I’m not going to defend psycho murderers like GWB any more than I would Jeffrey Dahmer, but Mao was bad in every way. There’s no such think as leftist (meaning egalitarian) centralization. All concentrations of power are right-wing imo.

9 Likes

THE SUPPLY CHAINS ARE FINE!!

2 Likes

Mao also killed the teachers.

2 Likes

Dammit MSNBC praising Ohio’s governors push for vote by mail in the midst of this. But the ruby red trumpkin legislature is going to an emergency session this week to overrule the governors election proposals. Now they are certain to try and force it to be held in person in like 2 weeks, instead of 6/2 that the governor proposed.

Ah, but see Phone Booth’s old point that economics is polemical. In that sense, yes, I’m sure there are plenty of epidemiologist economists? You can become one yourself! Just download and read the Imperial College study on social distancing.

But honestly I’ll confess to having had the thought that there are costs to social distancing–I think everyone has. It turns out most of them could be paid for through wealth redistribution, as with the examples of tech billionaires caught hoarding large quantities of masks. At present, we’re looking at a different strategy:

https://twitter.com/wickdchiq/status/1242505974176505856

8 Likes

You ever read The Wealth of Nations? Spoiler: The Wealth wasn’t gold. It was corn.

3 Likes

Atlanta mayor just said all ATL hospital ICUs are FULL.

This will not just be NYC. This is gonna be bad everywhere very soon.

1 Like

Atlanta now in lockdown as of today.

If this gets bad enough that supply chains of essential products like food get impacted then we are already in the middle of widespread looting and killing. A bunch of positive cases in an amazon warehouse especially does nothing as there are plenty of unemployed people available to replace them while they are in quarantine. You don’t need many skills and they are mostly young people. I would be more worried if there are a lot of reports of truck drivers having it.

So why is Seattle/Washington an anomaly? The Bay Area seems to be flatlining too.

They will just offer people money for these jobs… anything that is manual labor is never going to have a hard time being filled/replaced. Imagine earning $20/hr as an indestructible 18 year old.