SARS-CoV-2: Electric Superflu

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1242455267603877894

He’s really going to slaughter his own base, amazing.

1 Like

I guess he thinks everyone will be happy to go to work and get sick possibly die.

from a BBC article

“I proposed to postpone for a year and [IOC] president Thomas Bach responded with 100% agreement,” Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said.

Wouldn’t care if the Olympics never came back - that a world leader has to propose and get agreement from the IOC for this is a nonsense.

3 Likes

Nah, I think he’s just going for the tried and true “what if we just pretend none of this is happening” approach to risk management. Can’t wait to see how it goes!

1 Like

This is the sickest moment of our lives in this country. Just absolutely sick. Literally going to accept a huge body count by forcing people desperate for food and shelter back to work to get a few more yachts for the super rich. This is the moment I switched over to team guillotine.

24 Likes

Because of course they are.

2 Likes

Trump seeks help from South Korea

US President Donald Trump has asked South Korea for medical supplies to help fight the coronavirus pandemic, according to the presidential office in Seoul.

Mr Trump made the requested in a phone call to the South Korean leader Moon Jae-in.

South Korea has been widely praised for its handling of the COVID-19 outbreak which has involved aggressive use of technology, widespread testing and contact tracing.

It’s not yet clear what kind of medical devices are being requested by Mr Trump. President Moon said his government would provide “maximum support” if enough supplies were available.

The presidential office in Seoul said the equipment may require approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) which Mr Trump claimed would be given by the end of today.

Given most of the people who pick fruit and veg in France are not French but are now not allowed into the country, the government has launched a site where it wants people who are out of work to offer to pick it instead. They apparently need 200k in the next 3 months.

They will get paid and will also not lose the extra benefits people laid off are getting as a result of the crisis. I guess it’s needed, and it says that one of the conditions is that you respect the lockdown. If anyone is in France and at a loose end, sign up below!

https://desbraspourtonassiette.wizi.farm/

1 Like

I just really don’t understand how his administration thinks this is going to play out.

There are already two red or swing states (LA and FL) with >1,000 cases. By the time his 15 days are up, there will probably be at least six more (GA, TX, PA, TN, OH, WI). So in about a week when he announces mission accomplished, those states are just going back to business as usual?

And how is that even going to help the economy at large if NY and CA are still shut down?

He is clearly unable to think that far ahead.

1 Like

I don’t think he’s ever needed to think further ahead than a couple of weeks before.

India to go into full lockdown

India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi has just announced that the country will go into full lockdown from midnight local time - that’s in just under four hours.

India, the world’s second most populous country, will introduce a lockdown from midnight for 21 days.

“There will be a total ban on venturing out of your homes,” Prime Minister Narendra Modi said in a televised address.

There have been 482 confirmed cases of coronavirus and nine deaths in India so far.

1 Like

Yeah. The upcoming actions of red state Governors are really going to be a test for Trumpism. They will have to decide whether to lift lockdown orders (if they have them) and crash their health-care systems knowing that doing so will prompt barely a trickle of an economic boost. But it’ll make daddy smile, so…

Falwell getting got by covid would be the only proper justice here

3 Likes

While US evangelicals are appealing for money for magic seeds and jet fuel…

https://twitter.com/JamesMartinSJ/status/1242249120489897986

Residents of Casnigo were reported to have applauded from their windows and balconies as the coffin was taken for burial. There was no funeral.

(software telling me this has been posted before but link it points me to is not this so will post anyway - can’t be posted enough - RIP Giuseppe)

19 Likes

Most likely governor’s are going to make the actual decisions. He will blame them for ruining the economy if they keep lock downs in place. He will blame them for deaths if they send people back to work. It’s his whole shtick. Everything good is because of him, everything bad is because of someone else.

7 Likes

My governor would still be some no-name congresscritter from a bumfuck district but for Trump’s patronage. I have a feeling he’s going to fall right in line and get a lot of people here killed.

3 Likes

Yeah, there’s no plan other than “what I can say today to get the TV to say I’m doing a good job”. Full stop. He’s not interested in learning anything.

2 Likes

Agree. I don’t think I’m far from you. On the Treasure Coast.

1 Like