Sapo plans a healthier March

Qft

2 Likes

Scale says 203 today. I sense a pattern … Yesterday was a big meal at my brother’s place. He and his wife made a ton of amazing Indian food and my gf made mango sherbet. Finished with a shot of whiskey. Oh there was a blood orange gin and tonic to start. Definitely a big meal, but not overly-excessive.

Overlapping with my intention to be healthier is also a plan to eat more locally. I’ve been shopping less at large groceries and getting more stuff from small shops and local farms. I joined the “soup club” I mentioned earlier and also signed up for a bread CSA share. … what I’m discovering is that now there is more food in the house than ever before, I’m eating less of it, and it is healthier. … It’s also like 3x as expensive but that’s probably another post.

A week and a half of reasonable eating, 98% of it plant-based. I can definitely feel a difference in my body. I can feel how I carry too much weight in specific spots. I can feel it’s a bit easier to move. Can feel how far there is to go.

4 Likes

I will probably be purchasing a CSA share. I can afford it.

The area I live in is very focused on sustainability and local food, and there are efforts to make that available to people regardless of income. I feel like it’s my responsibility to support the things I want to see thrive–and if that means paying more for local, sustainable food, then that’s a thing I can do to help the community. I’m fortunate to have the access.

1 Like

Eating a lot less. Pooping a lot less. A fun side-effect. … ate that sunchoke-walnut soup yesterday. It was light brown and very weird. Leftover Indian food. Walked.

We have had a nice blast of warmer spring weather, and it’s been a good reminder of how much easier it is to be outside and active in seasons not named winter. Yesterday I was looking around one of the old barns and found this. NIfty …

Scale reads 202.

6 Likes

yup! some fun stuff has come out of the barn.

Rosebud

Spoiler alert!!

2 Likes

Yesterday I got hungry. … which seems like it should be non-news. Except I haven’t been hungry in a while. With my tendancy to overeat, I am rarely “hungry” (as opposed to "wanting to eat). … Walked about four miles yesterday. Ate more leftovers, some bread, a fruit smoothie … scale remains @ 202.

5 Likes

My car shows fuel efficiency in two ways: mpg at the moment, and over the past 50 miles … it would be nice to see a kind of “constant weight over the past 24 hours / 1 week” readout for my body … like, whatever changes I make to my diet and exercise, eventually my weight would stabilize at a certain point … If I eat and burn calories every day like I did last Wednesday, where will my weight stabilize? What about what I ate over the weekend?

Scale reads 203.8 … ate more than expected both Saturday and Sunday.

Roughly half of March has elapsed. No time at all. I have consumed less in general, and do feel better. Much less alcohol. Mostly a plant-based diet. Still too much bread. No real increase in exercise. … Moderate effort in, moderate results out …

1 Like

I think I read a paper once where they recommended this approach. I think they estimated a “half-life” of about 6 months. IIRC, the idea was to change lifestyle to a goal so that in a year and a half or so, you’d be where you want to be.

I tried to do something like that with a cat. I thought if I just fed him the recommended amount for an 8 lb cat, I’d eventually have an 8 lb cat. The cat didn’t like it and ate my houseplants and the plastic end-cap off a door-stop. Surgery was too late and the poisonous plants killed him. Poor Skittles.

RIP Skittles.

A friend told me yesterday that this functionality exists on some modern fitness apps. “If you eat and work out like you did today, in X days you will weigh Y.” … I once re-invented catering, for like a minute in my head. … What a brilliant idea! I could take the food to people’s houses and cook for them! And then scale it up, do larger events … well. It was still a good idea.

Yesterday I fasted. Black coffee, tea and water. Got in a nice 4-mile walk, too. My stomach feels very full this morning, but it isn’t. Scale says 199.8 … I’m curious about how much food is “in the system” at any given point. … How long does it take food to work its way through our bodies? … Also, are our bodies 100% efficient in digestion? Do we extract all calories from the food we eat, or are some … wasted in the waste?

3 Likes

Yea myfitnesspal which I’m using, everyday when you complete your food diary it will tell you that if every day was like today that in 5 weeks you will weigh X

After fasting for a day, yesterday felt like a lot of food–but it was not. A fruit smoothie, kale, lentils and an egg, the end of the Indian leftovers, and a handful of almonds … maybe it was more than I thought, So tough to tell. Scale reads 199.2 … body feels like my guts have firmed up and now have this thick layer of fat hanging on everything. … in some ways I feel better but in some ways worse.

4 Likes

Yesterday I had a good morning hike, and a healthy lunch. My approach to portions has changed, which is nice. I’m eating a lot less – the days in March when I’ve consumed “too much” might have been average days last month.

Obviously, I have not shed 10 pounds of fat in a less than 3 weeks, but I’m posting this for the lol plunge …

Wheeeee! …

I don’t think that’s “real” weight loss but I also think … I have not been treating my body well, this past year.

I don’t know how accurate or precise or good or nonsense is this scale I’m using. It claims my hydration is rising in step with weight loss. … that seems kinda bullshitty?

Moves in a very tight range–first reading is 52.9%.

This experiment with weight loss feels really different than in the past. Like, I have a better idea of how my body works and this just makes losing weight about patience … it’s also probably the ideal time, what with lots of businesses still closed and people not gathering … but that seems about to change, with the vaccine and warmer weather

weight this morning, 196.6

6 Likes

This morning: 196.8

It’s cold today but warming up tomorrow. … Just had a banana-lime-coconut smoothie … Smooth Ray’s is gonna be such a hit one day. … I want to do some yoga later and see if it feels different. … I’d like to associate my body feeling better, appreciating and enjoying and experiencing it, with better food habits …

10 pounds less. Some mix of fat and water and getting rid of the excess stuff being processed … clothes don’t fit any different but my core feels noticably tighter

I’d post more food photos, but honestly I eat a lot of the same stuff. Too much bread at the end of yesterday, got triggered and started to stress eat but caught myself. Also dumped about half a bottle of shitty red wine down the drain. Last month I’d have finished it on principle.

4 Likes

197 flat today. Ate pretty well yesterday. Smoothie, kale, lentils, red wine. … I’m wondering about the coconut milk I consume in both curries I make and in smoothies. A smoothie is basically 1 banana, a tbl of honey, half a lime, ice and let’s say …1/3 to a 1/2 cup of coconut milk, so that’s probably 200-300 calories (in the coconut milk) and a big chunk of my recommended fat intake. …

I drink these pretty regularly. Wondering if I should change that in my diet. Not specifically for weight loss, but I really enjoy (1) drinking them; (2) making them; (3) joking about Smooth Ray’s, and so I make them daily and that may not be great.

2 Likes

One alternative I recommend is trying a small scoop of rolled oats in your smoothies instead of coconut milk. You won’t get the same taste of course but oats make smoothies very creamy without added fat.

2 Likes

There is also lite coconut milk, which has distinctly less flavor but also a third less fat. … I may try the oats, though offhand it doesn’t sound awesome. Thanks for the suggestion.

ETA or maybe it’s 1/3 of the fat.

Three weeks in, scale says 195.6. Over the weekend I had avocado toast for the first time …

It was good. Also had a simple lentil soup that relied on the juice of 5 lemons to lighten it up and which made it different from most soups I’ve had.

Three weeks into this…

Nice to see immediate progress, but I suspect this is where things start to move slower.

5 Likes

Another day, another 195.6

Was planning to fast yesterday, but then wound up having a picnic at the lake. Veggies and lentils and … coffee cake? Dang, this woman I’m seeing can bake. … thankfully she’s also vegan and eats really healthy, doesn’t drink a ton and smokes weed … I find that the state of my relationships often weighs heavily on my actual weight and diet. … I dated someone last year where we basically just ate and drank all the time. And that was pretty awesome, but (a) I guess that’s how you get to 207, and (b) I think the constant consumption covered up a lack of compatability. Anyway, problem solved.

Planning on fasting today.

5 Likes