Rolling Stones aka the GOAT Tourney Thread

Under My Thumb is problematic af, but the marimba riff is too great.

Shine a light doesn’t deserve this.

all 8 of these songs are legit, but Tumbling Dice is probably #8 if we’re being honest.

You’re right. I changed my vote on that one.

I think it’s better than both Shine A Light and Satisfaction.

1 Like

wat

Satisfaction is boring. It’s literally a channel changer for me. (If I actually listened to the radio these days.)

Satisfaction is Hold Your Hand. Exile is Abbey Road.

1 Like

Satisfaction gets a lot of credit for the breakthrough fuzz guitar riff that in any other hands would been a brass line (and in Otis Redding’s version, was).

But Tumbling Dice is on another level and has that brilliant heart-melting (and surprising when you first hear it) call and response section between the choir and Jagger/Richards’ vocals.

Yeah Exile is my top 10 albums of all time, maybe top 5. But weird that it doesn’t have a big famous Stones track. The whole album just works as a whole album.

1 Like

I was saying this to a colleague who was stupidly adamant that it’s an overrated album because it doesn’t feature any of their greatest songs. Then again, his favourite album of theirs was Flowers, a compilation, so that says a lot.

Don’t hate on people for the way they enjoy music, music is one of the few things that is universally loved and enjoyed across all cultures.

Kind of a straw man. I was arguing with his assumption of being something of an authority on the band.

1 Like

closed the last group, will do another probably after election is sorted out

Group 3 Round of 32:

• Gimme Shelter
  • Let It Bleed
0 voters
  • Street Fighting Man
  • Can’t You Hear Me Knocking
0 voters
  • Get Off My Cloud
  • Honkey Tonk Woman
0 voters
  • Time Is On My Side
  • Angie
0 voters
2 Likes

aww, i guess it’s time to say goodbye to “Let It Bleed.”

Sucks so much that a lot of these songs are gonna get eliminated.

Stones have to have the deepest catalog among rock bands

i thought the last two matchups would be close for sure, some quality songs there.

yes this is still going, last round closed, new group for round of 32 coming.

2 Likes

man so many great songs

• Sympathy for the Devil
  • Moonlight Mile
0 voters
  • Play With Fire
  • Ruby Tuesday
0 voters
  • Dead Flowers
  • Miss You
0 voters
  • Mothers Little Helper