Rolling Stones aka the GOAT Tourney Thread

any other input for playin round?

How’s this coming along wg?

haven’t gone back to it, i should be able to get it rolling with playin this coming week.

1 Like

Might be good to wait until the Metallica one is over

ok here is the list with playins and popularity of plays added.

I added the playin suggestions and then ranked them according to plays so they are mixed into the list so some that were originally in the list are now in the playin group.

Song Plays Seed
Paint It Black 462 1
Satisfaction 329 1
Gimme Shelter 290 1
Sympathy for the Devil 284 1
Start Me Up 271 2
Beast of Burden 190 2
Angie 158 2
Brown Sugar 129 2
Wild Horses 122 3
You Can’t Always Get What You Want 90 3
Honkey Tonk Woman 86 3
Miss You 76 3
Jumpin Jack Flash 67 4
Under My Thumb 65 4
Can’t You Hear Me Knocking 49 4
Ruby Tuesday 46 4
She’s a Rainbow 42 5
Tumbling Dice 37 5
Street Fighting Man 28 5
Play with Fire 25 5
Lets Spend the Night Together 23 6
Waiting on A Friend 23 6
Get Off My Cloud 22 6
Dead Flowers 21 6
Sweet Virginia 20 7
Its Only Rock and Roll 20 7
Time is On My Side 19 7
Mothers Little Helper 18 7
Rocks Off 17 8
As Tears Go By 17 8
Monkey Man 16 8
Moonlight Mile 15 8
Happy 14 9
Shine a Light 14 9
Let it Bleed 13 9
She’s So Cold 13 9
19th Nervous Breakdown 12 10
The Last Time 12 10
Bitch 12 10
Shattered 11 10
Loving Cup 11 11
Fool to Cry 11 11
Midnight Rambler 9 11
Its All Over Now 8 11
Sway 7 12
Lady Jane 7 12
Not Fade Away 7 12
Love in Vain 7 12
No Expectations 6 13
Rip This Joint 6 13
Sister Morphine 6 13
Torn and Frayed 5 13
Sweet Black Angel 5 14
Live with Me 5 14
You Got the Silver 5 14
Far Away Eyes 5 14
Have you Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow? 4 15
Stray Cat Blues 4 15
2000 Light Years from Home 4 15
All Down the Line 4 15
Undercover of The Night 4 16
Hot Stuff 4 16
Before They Make me Run 3 16
Memory Motel 3 16
Salt of the Earth 3 Playin
Soul Survivor 3 Playin
Worried About You 2 Playin
Star Star 2 Playin
Time Waits for No One 2 Playin
Connection 1 Playin
Going Home 1 Playin
Child of the Moon 1 Playin
Dandelion 0.5 Playin

I’ll give a couple more days probably for suggestions of anything else to add and then do the playin round

2 Likes

Each of seeds 1 through 16 are represented 4 times. That’s 64 songs (a full bracket).

What are the “playins” playing into?

what i did with metallica was basically, if there are 9 playins, then i match those 9 against the 9 lowest seeds. Basically just an extra round to expand it a bit.

edit: so really pretend the last 9 aren’t seeded yet

if you eliminate “Dandelion” then you have 8 play-in songs which makes a lot more sense for a bracket.

1 Like

I know of many covers I can use to troll make substantive contributions to this tournament!

I actually like both of those

3 Likes

No one objected to this suggestion so here we go. Playin Round for the GOAT. I only know 1 song from this list, Memory Motel, and its dope so vote for that one.

• Have You Seen Your Mother Etc…
  • Child of the Moon
0 voters
  • Stray Cat Blues
  • Going Home
0 voters
  • 2000 Light years from Home
  • Connection
0 voters
  • All Down the Line
  • Time Waits for No One
0 voters
  • Undercover of the Night
  • Star Star
0 voters
  • Hot Stuff
  • Worried About You
0 voters
  • Before They Make Me Run
  • Soul Survivor
0 voters
  • Memory Motel
  • Salt of the Earth
0 voters
1 Like

I will leave up for 3 days as usual.

1 Like

Really great work wg, a labour of love.

Listening to some of the tracks from the mid 70s albums I haven’t heard in decades brought tears to my eyes.

I remember an early evening dj for the biggest BBC radio station deciding Star Star was the best track on GHS and played it without even realising the chorus went She’s A Star Fucker, Star Fucker, Star Fucker, Star Fucker, Starrrrr.

Also @Rivaldo bruv this thread is pining for your votes.

2 Likes

Aren’t there like 50,000 Rolling Stones songs? They’ll probably have more by the time the tourney is over!

2 Likes

Around 450 apparently, crazy

1 Like

Not specifically the Stones, but lest we forget:

3 Likes

As I’ve mentioned in Walrus threads I’m bloody old, and old enough that punk rock hit me at 16, and I was consumed completely and wrote off any music by the establishment at that point, including the Stones.
Fast forward a couple of years and I used to book bands for the college I was at, and that opened up a lot of opportunities for free tickets and general ligging.
Anyway one day, this would be about 1982 I got a call and got put on the guest list at the100 club which was a tiny venue in Oxford Street in Central London. The Stones were apparently playing a secret gig before some mega tour.
I really had no interest but I thought I would go along anyway because it was a good venue and it would be a good story. I met up with my mate and went for a couple of pints in Soho beforehand. Then had a couple more, then decided we couldn’t be arsed to see those aging rock dinosaurs.
I felt pretty smug at our decision for many years, but looking back it would probably have been magnificent, even through my bigoted eyes.

4 Likes

The first time I saw this was only about 6 months ago and I laughed so hard that my abs hurt the following day. It’s one of the greatest things ever made, imo, and is a good reminder that humanity can be pretty awesome at times.

Here to vote for the 4-6 songs I like by them and abstain from the rest.

1 Like

I’ll vote for more than 6, but I’m abstaining from matches that feature two songs I don’t care about.

Yes they’ve played a few warm up gigs in small venues before a tour, none of which I heard about in time.

My own Stones fuck up has me refusing to go with my oldest mate and his gf for that tour in 82 because they were too old and past it and I didn’t want to see them looking so decrepit approaching 40. My mate, a huge Stones fan, thought it might be one of the last chances to see them lol.