RFC: Unban everyone

That was dickish. He posted on the other site asking whether he should tell mimosa, the answers were all no, and the response back was ‘oops, too late’.

I’m not going to say people aren’t mad a mimosa. Maybe he’s mostly being funny, but he does rustle some jimmies, including mine.

2 Likes

I’m not asking for an invite. I assume you’re probably right that I’m bland and non controversial enough that I would probably pass muster. But:

1. It’s not in my personality to beg for invites to parties I wasn’t invited to. Heck, my self esteem is low enough that even when I am invited, I’m pretty sure that most of the time the host doesn’t really want me there. The last thing I would ever want to do is spend much time or effort convincing anonymous people on the internet that they should let me hang out with them. Especially if, as some of JT’s posts have implied, part of the requirement might be answering for times when I could have been seen as too supportive of bans simply because I wasn’t mean enough to Wookie or Goofy or whatever.

2. I think you sort of understand, but may not fully grok how hurtful some of the trolling posts are and who they hurt. JT is probably right that the people who had the most genuine beef with people who left probably don’t mind if those people don’t post here as much and aren’t particularly interested in interacting with those people. But, as you acknowledge, there are a lot of people who mostly stay out of forum drama but who now are (a) missing out on posts from people the might have like interacting with and (b) have to watch the quality of this forum get hollowed out as people leave or as drama gets kicked up when one of the people who seem to primarily post in the other place pops by to spike the football about how great it is. This isn’t directed at you specifically because I think you’ve been more sensitive to this dynamic than most, but I just wanted to speak up for what I think could be a fair number of quiet posters. point out that the drive by dunkings aren’t necessarily hitting the intended targets.

9 Likes

Amplifying JT’s post, people there have different motivations and concerns. It’s not a monolith.

I was never part of Captains PM thread here or an early member at other forum. I personally don’t view stance on bannings here as a litmus test there. At same time, I respect the feelings of those that were ostracized here to not want to invite their antagonists.

That all said, there is not a hard or long list of vetoes. Feelings change on both sides. And its just an alternative place, not inherently a better place or a worse place. Quality of either site is in the hands of its posters, and different individuals or groups can have very different criteria for ‘better’.

1 Like

What the fuck are you talking about? This doesn’t even have to do with Mimosa (or me if you’re actually referring to me in your post), it’s about how it makes others feel as Micro explained yesterday and BON is confirming now. Man you really are one of the biggest bullies and antagonizers around.

1 Like

+1 million

I really miss a lot of the people that have left.

I just looked back at the first walrus grab bag. Here’s who participated:

@eyebooger
@miliboo
@suzzer99
@ChrisV
@skydiver8
@SwankyWilder
@Jalfrezi
@pyatnitski
@Yuv
@Canadamatt3004
@LouisCyphre
@Nicholasp27
@seities
@Pauwl

And it went great (except for me missing the podium by 1 point after leading most of the way). Just a group of people doing something fun. Feel like this group could never get together and do something like this again, and that’s really unfortunate.

6 Likes

Here’s my first draft for an actual proposal which we can have a poll on after this thread has been open three days.

1. All permanently banned users shall be reinstated upon request.
  2. Except for obvious spam accounts, no user shall be permanently banned until the forum passes rules governing permanent bans.

Fair points. I don’t agree with all of them, but I appreciate that you do seem aware of and thoughtful about the dynamic.

Like I said, the “sing for your supper” implications probably hits me harder because of my personality type, but I can also appreciate some of the reasons why the veto system was chosen (even while realizing that it was an imperfect solution). And I should also note that I understand that different members of the new forum may have different approaches when it comes to who should get an invite, so I’ll try to be a little more aware of that

Anyway, I’m not sure that fences can be mended at this point, but IMO the only hope is to have more actual engagement about the issues so I appreciate you taking the time to lay out your POV.

1 Like

I don’t think a request should be in there. Just unban, move on. People who feel they have been wronged shouldn’t have to grovel to the perceived wrong-doers.

Is there an easy list of who’s been banned? Honestly, why I’m fine with unbanning inso and Sklansky, I want to make them jump through the hoop of formally requesting to come back.

Why?

I want to know if they truly want to be here.

Ok, it just seems to me that if they start posting then you get your answer.

The request being necessary seems to me to be at odds with two plausible reasons for unbanning everyone: 1. clean slate in the interest of olive branch and adding more posters and/or 2. an acknowledgment that the bans were a mistake. Likely some people will bristle at one or both of those, but I’m not sure what motivation there is to unban other than 1 or 2 and making a request necessary is inconsistent with the spirit of either 1 or 2.

1 Like

My first revision.

All permanently banned users shall have their original user name reinstated upon request. Or they may choose to come back under a new user name with no penalty. They will not be required to link their old and new identities.

People could play walrus together. An open (no mods no bans) walrus site?

I already have a domain for it.

@moderators

Are there logistical impediments to just unbanning everyone?

I don’t know if there’s a master list of banned people to work off of.

I think we could crowd source a pretty close to accurate list. It’s only like 10 people, right?

Assuming we’re not including gimmicks, I guess.

If we adopt a clear process for future permabans, would you be interested in offering amnesty for all past transgressions, no matter how heinous, and any future punishment based solely on behavior occurring in this forum after new rules are adopted?

He publicly asked, and like I said, whether we responded or not we would have been criticized either way. Also, I do not believe I’ve mentioned anything about the other site here on this site.