RFC: Proposed New Subforum

One technical/logistics question: does the current software have the ability to restrict posters to posting in a particular sub forum? Like, if I started wilding out with my hot takes about Loki in the Entertainment sub, is it possible to give me a temp ban from that sub but still let me post in the LOLDems thread?

Also, I guess this is a question mostly for people who want a new sub: I understand that you might not have a fully fleshed out vision for what the new sub might look like, but, in general, do you expect that it would contain discussion of most of the same topics already currently being discussed elsewhere on the site (just with a different governance structure), or are there completely different topics that you would like to discuss, but would only want to do so with different moderation rules? In other words, will there be 2 covid threads, 2 biden presidency threads, a ā€œhorizontal walrusā€ thread, etc?

1 Like

Yes I know I am a liar and worse. Iā€™ve read the entire commentary. Absolutely zero contrition from anyone who has said that stuff so far if you will pardon my animosity. Itā€™s still happening literally right now with me being called a liar with so far zero example of it.

Iā€™m sure just splitting the community in half will be better for everyone. The kids wonā€™t have to see dad beating mom anymore and all that.

hoping ā€œnoā€ wins bc this special brand of relentless lying and toxicity doesnā€™t deserve it

3 Likes

Thanks for explaining further and using killa as an example really helps make it more concrete.

fOOT though.

in before the ban

1 Like

Is Loki any good? I donā€™t have much interest in the character.

1 Like

Itā€™s a principled stance Johnny. Iā€™ve tried to make nice with this whole situation and I am still being called a liar etc. which is not what happened. Like I appreciate it being to my face this time but if you think I am going to be happy with people treating me like this and then running off to their own little place here then no. I am not going to be. The fact the people treating me like that are part of the group pushing for this means I wonā€™t support it period. Cassette even went as far as to say I was the problem and I should leave (In the nicest way possible, I appreciate that).

I see zero reason to object to this. Iā€™d be fine with just starting it as is with nothing fleshed out other than the tenets outlined in the OP. The idea behind the subforum is the posters pushing for the subforum get to run there kingdom of kindness and in exchange subforum participants generally leave the main board moderators alone. Now goā€¦.

I think just launching with that understanding is better than arguing about rules, conditions, etc. that everybody has already had more than enough of.

1 Like

Where is the lie? Letā€™s see some examples of how that is a lie because it isnā€™t a lie?

Well, I can control what I write and how I react and I canā€™t and donā€™t want to control anyone else. And I literally couldnā€™t have proposed the idea without the Captainā€™s thread because it never would have occurred to me before being exposed to it there. I understand why some of what was written there would make you mad.

As far as Iā€™m aware, itā€™s not possible, or at least itā€™s not possible for a mod to do. Maybe an admin?

From a conversation I had with @goreo it is kind of possible but would involve manipulations with groups. Like you can make a subforum visible to a group consisting of everyone, then the ban would be removing that poster from that group. I think.

I think Owen Wilsonā€™s character kinda steals the show thus far, but thereā€™s so much that has not yet been made clear that I think itā€™s going to come down to the payoff at the end, whether it wraps up in a satisfying fashion or if it was just jerking you around on a big ride for a while before leaving you with nothing.

1 Like

I honestly do not think this will be controllable and will likely cause the sub to fail, but will vote yes to give it a shot because JT deserves it.

2 Likes

The hyperbole knows no bounds.

The couch fainters need to chill more than brutus and teh bunch.

3 Likes

Most people here may be, but Iā€™m not informed enough about how 2p2 was moderated, but it doesnā€™t strike me as salient to bring up H&F as an example. Iā€™d comment on oot but I basically donā€™t know what oot was. More salient is how did the moderation between politics and unchained work, the latter of which was (most of the time afiar) the less vertically moderated sub forum?

I think this is probably question number 1.

I guess question number 2 is what happens if the new sub doesnt workā€¦ if agreed by the majority of postersā€¦ is there a way of winding it back that doesnt result in another explosion of acrimony?

They will behave and mutually agree to keep the subforum nice and tidy just to prove us wrong and stick it to usā€¦. which is fine.

Probably some of that, sure.

I mean, Iā€™d certainly like to believe this, but from at least most descriptions, it seemed to be tolerated in the PM thread, so itā€™s pretty reasonable to ask why anyone would think that past behavior wonā€™t predict future behavior.

1 Like

I remember when that happened to me I got really fucking pissed off and ended up hating a lot of posters here. I did post quite a bit publicly and tried to explain myself and was told to STFU by many other posters and eventually left in disgust for a while. And Iā€™m supposed to care enough now about what those people think to feel sorry about what I posted in what was supposed to be a PM?

4 Likes