RFC: Permanently Ban Churchill

churchill’s posting isn’t great in the Covid thread imo and they like to poke but let’s be real, the general consensus here on Covid was somewhat wrong. Even cuse admitted he went way overboard wrt Covid precautions. Post-vaccine it’s live your life and if you get unlucky you get it.

2 Likes

Are you complaining that someone liked a post where you called them a piece of shit?

2 Likes

I don’t know. His only posts that are memorable to me are COVID and meta threads. He either doesn’t post on other threads or posts unremarkably.

Permaban process is terrible. This site started with the idea that it was community owned, meaning all the members were owners. Taking that property with a majority vote or 2/3 vote or RFC or anything short of at least near total consensus is theft and every single one of you voting that way is a thief.

I feel guilty for not taking a perma when you thieves took Sabo’s property.

7 Likes

smdh

200w_s

1 Like

So this site has to suffer every fool permanently? Fuck that.

4 Likes

Property rights aren’t the highest form of rights.

Team Church

Anyways, this was the post that set some people off.

I banned him for this - which I understood to be him personally trolling wookie.

In general, I’ve tried to avoid moderating the Covid thread as it seems like lots of petty bickering, but that one crossed the line from arguing about Covid (sometimes in a trollish way) to personal attacks.

Ah well I mean I’ve only seen about 124091481241480284 worse cases of trolling.

5 Likes

This is literally the weirdest internet community I’ve ever been a part of and I played MUDs in 1993

10 Likes

I personally don’t think anyone should be permaed except for the worst offenses at this point. wookie calling him a fuckwit and then churchill responding in kind is not banable imo.

That being said I think churchill is mostly trolling in the covid thread and there is room to be a contrarian (which churchill is) and do it in a less abrasive way.

Again if we are banning churchill we need to ban people who show up to the crypto thread trolling, attacking other posters and generally knowing nothing about the subject. Although that last part I’m not sure does describe church. He has been wrong some, right some. I’m not qualified to discuss the ratio. But let’s be real the general covid consensus here was not really good, wiping groceries for years, not letting kids go to school, etc. Which we all agreed with. But in hindsight it isn’t good when you consider the cost of that imo.

5 Likes

Sometimes I feel that way but in retrospect it couldn’t have worked out any other way post Trump

Is banning from the COVID thread only an acceptable compromise?
  • Yes
  • No, only a permaban is acceptable
  • No, nothing beyond temp-bans
  • Not sure

0 voters

The issue isn’t just the trolling. The issue is that he’s only been trolling for months. Maybe I missed him post in other threads but I haven’t seen a legit good faith post in a long time. To me that is the problem.

2 Likes

Do you think all of Church’s posts in the Covid thread are trolling? He hasn’t been totally wrong although I think he has been mostly wrong right?

Unequivocal No, which isn’t in your poll

He’s only BEEN trolled.