RFC: Permanently Ban Churchill

I seems like a sensible idea but in practice, “just ignore all the trolling” has never once actually worked in the history internet communities. Which is why moderation is a thing.

Still, I don’t know, maybe we could all try collectively ignoring Jal et al. the next time try to rile people up.

We tolerate you.

1 Like
LOL MrWookie and CaffeineNeeded if they don’t have churchill on ignore
  • Agree
  • Disagree

0 voters

because muting/putting someone on ignore on a threaded forum doesn’t work, the people who don’t ignore them will cause threads to go to hell talking with/at them. This is internet 101. It. Does. Not. Work.

I want to once again stress just how weird this place is. Any other place on the internet someone trolling and bad faith posting results in a ban (or in reddit’s case, downvoted to a point where no one sees you post). Any other place someone who’s been temp banned 20+ times (lol) would eat a perma waaaay before then.

Crazytown.

5 Likes

I’ll disagree with this as a blanket statement.

I don’t think iron81 has ever been moderated, despite having many views that are way outside the mainstream here.

Why the sarcasm? I was being serious.

So was I.

2 Likes

Maybe but there are several posters who do that pretty regularly who have never been banned at all. I have personally had heated exchanges with a couple of them but still get along with them fine on other topics of discussion.

This isn’t that.

Cool. I respond in a civil way and you flame me.

This isn’t that… for you.

There are also others here that can get along with Churchill just fine in other threads or even the COVID thread.

Half the voters don’t want him banned.

Churchill posts in other threads?

Yes.

Something good to know before voting to ban someone from the site.

https://unstuckpolitics.com/search?context=topic&context_id=7931&q=%40churchill%20%20order%3Alatest&skip_context=true

yeah he started trolling the ukraine thread too!

Yeah, tried to give this place another chance.

Nothing’s really changed.

Enjoy your weekend.

Ban whoever you want.

2 Likes

A lot of the pro-churchill voters no longer post here and only come back to troll and protect each other.

Never the less, it does appear he will not be banned and will be free to continue trolling.

He has his profile hidden so it’s very hard to see his posting record, which coincidentally others defending him have done as well. Anyway, I’m pretty sure the vast majority of his posts are trolling the COVID thread, a recent drive by or two in the Ukraine threads, or About Unstuck.

1 Like

1998 called, it wants its internet terminology back

Now THAT’S what I call flaming!

1 Like

I felt a little cringey after posting that. Yes, I am an old from the olden times of the internet and I have old-timey jargon.

1 Like

Says a poster who, best as I can tell (profile is hidden) hasn’t been around for 3.5 months and only came back to defend Clchurchill and vote against this ban.

2 Likes

Me too. That’s why both my lines were also 90s tropes :D

Nothing in my post was less civil than yours. You claimed Jal etc troll. They do. You do to. Your posting is often drive by comments, often insults. Mine can be too. That’s true for lots of posters here (or anywhere on the internet).

1 Like