RFC: No thread on this site should be throttled without a really good reason

It has been publicaly posted here, is far from a secret and that is far from a lie. Ok champ, get on with it.

1 Like

You had a meltdown yesterday when I tried to publicize an open PM thread. I don’t see how the Discord is any different.

BTW throttling is part of what’s moving discussions to PMs. Hate “secret” PM threads? Vote to unthrottle!

eta: See zara’s recent post on sorting out her beefs in PM because she couldn’t do it in an open thread.

2 Likes

This is the part I find counterproductive though.

For this issue (the throttling) my stance is: It doesn’t matter what happens if threads are unthrottled, I can just scroll past something I subjectively thing is poopoo flung, like nunnehi and cuse arguing way back (though I also read some of their arguments if the topic interested me). That’s the beauty of written communication in this forum format; it’s almost literally impossible to “ruin” a thread and let it get “out of control” with people “shouting over” each other and other such terms. Everything is always neat and tidy in the little rectangles.

Now, I know some people might subjectively disagree, but I’d state that this stance of mine is objectively very much live-and-let-live; whether live-and-let-live is ideal is the part that is more than open for disagreement. But, for somebody to disagree, they’d be potentially “whining and complaining about an internet forum that isn’t pefectly shaped in their own idealistic image”. But, I wouldn’t think to phrase it that way and present in as such, unless I was trying to be unfair and hurtful.

Seriously though (plz kill me maybe) I don’t think we should let this thread turn into a default non-throttled thread to hash out the drama. Maybe open a non-throttled French BBV thread, I dunno. Or not and just let things remain as they are.

I don’t hate secret PM threads to be clear. I hate what a select group of people has done to this place. If the secret PM thread was full of sunshine and rainbows and wasn’t full of literally 90% of the shit stirrers on the site then it would have been a non-issue. It was the otherizing of half the forum, the insulting of forum members and a few people trying to pull of a forum coup that I didn’t like. The TopShot discord has none of that but if you want to equate it then go for it. It’s a bad faith strawman but that’s par for the course.

1 Like

The timing of the RFC is the bad faith part. The captains had an entire PM thread largely complaining about the mods and rules and how Sabo would do it better (that part is sarcasm just so I don’t get accused of lies) and now all of a sudden we have throttling RFCs! Why didn’t this happen 6 months ago or 6 weeks ago or 6 days ago? Why is it that all the captains like each others posts and report the same posts. It’s almost like it is coordinated. It’s weird considering I have been assured everything was on the up and up and you guys all want to be everyone’s best friends and make the forum a better place!

1 Like

Let’s have an example bud.

Ok you didn’t like what you saw in the Captains thread…but that’s changing the topic.

My thread was specifically crafted to avoid the problems you describe. But you still came in guns blazing. It really caught me off guard because the thread was specifically aimed at solving the “cool kids” problem you mention in this post right now. It was specifically anti-cool kids and inclusive. But you seem to see enemies everywhere you look lately. Don’t put that on me.

2 Likes

Are you calling the proposed subforum a forum coup or is that referring to something else?

So you can’t find a single example. I’m stunned. You call me a liar repeatedly and can’t come up with a single actual example. That’s pretty fucking insulting. If you actually read my posts I actually complimented you in a few of them. Were those the lies you were referring to?

1 Like

They all just came off their bans at the same time, because they were banned at the same time, and wanted to post in the threads, and were hit with the throttle.

I’ve made it clear every time it’s been mentioned that I absolutely hate the throttles and anything similar that chills out participation in this manner.

Didn’t most of them make 2nd accounts? Double the posting, double the fun.

Wichita has posted a ton the last couple days. Not sure how much they lied but there was a lot of name calling. One might say acting like a toddler.

The main post I saw where they lied they deleted the post afterwards. Give them credit that they realized they were lying and wrong.

that whole Reading6ix ReadingWichitaDM thing

You quoted my post. There weren’t lies in there either bud. You literally called me Ben Shapiro in the post before that but sure sure I am the only one insulting people.

Or Yadi thing.

People need time to cool off imo. Otherwise you get all this animosity building up and it spills out of the mod threads into the main forum. The fights in the mod threads are absolutely killing this forum. Making it easier for them to precipitate is not the answer imo.

My concern is the same thing will happen with the new subforum. But I guess we have to try it to find out. I’m just going to abstain from that vote because I don’t have a strong opinion either way.

Stopping high volume posters from posting high volumes of shit in these touchy threads IS a really good reason to throttle some threads. Multi-quote posts 3 screens long are bad enough but it doesn’t take many people responding to every post from a week ago to derail a thread. Four hours may be a bit much, but in the long run it’s better than nothing.

3 Likes

I quoted maybe 10-20% of your message.

I don’t remember what thread it was in but you said most of the people in the PM’s were on their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th accounts.

I don’t know who was all in the original PM but I would wager 80% plus were using their original account. .

You are literally just making up lies while calling people names in multiple threads.