RFC: End RFCs

Everybody hates them. This was a popular idea when I randomly floated it recently-ish:

Discuss.

Straw poll: Repeal the RFC system?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

Might need an RFC to determine the adequate quorum for an RFC to end other RFCs. Would then ofc need a ratifying RFC.

4 Likes

So you’re saying there’s a chance?

1 Like

Any mod may propose a rule. If it gets 50 percent support in a pole, it become a rule. Any non-mod user may propose a rule, if it gets 60 percent support in a pole, it becomes a rule. The end. We don’t need a fucking 3 week process, this is an internet discussion forum, not congress.

lmao at the one no so far yeah dude what’s up have high hopes for your 2nd post in the last 6 months :+1:

1 Like

He’s a real person. He doesn’t really post. He’s user 721 or somehting on 2+2.

O in that case I apologize.

If repealed, I think the RFC process should still be used to either figure out the replacement or determine the rules for figure out the replacement.

When it comes to making rules for the site, I think we need a process where we have some discussion about how it should be worded because first drafts of laws can usually be improved. I mean, if you want me to start ten different OPs on related topics, I suppose we can go back to the wild wild west of everyone just starting a poll.

I think we can amend the RFC process to shorten it immensely. A minimum of 48 hours of debate. 72 hours for approving proposed wording. One week for a binding vote, to users who don’t read the site daily a fair chance to vote, but I could see cutting that down to 4-5 days if people think that’s a fair amount of time.

How would you feel about cutting the process down to as fast as ten days?

Nothing we do is complicated enough to require debate on the wording of polls. A binding poll is good enough. The vast majority of our RFC’s that actually make it to the final step contain almost the identical wording to the poll proposed in initial post of the RFC.

I like being more inclusive and giving people an opportunity to weigh in on things I may have missed. This may be a little podunk forum, but I also like having procedures that scale well in case something unusual happens and this community gets significantly larger. You might think it will never happen, but I’m sure there are people who thought there was no chance of Roe being overturned and look where we are now.

Anyways, I think politics is fun and it’s entertaining to mimic political procedures with how we do things.

How about RFDs? “Request for Drama”.

I’ve proposed shortening the RFC timeline.

Which you you prefer?
  • Keep the RFC process as is
  • Shorten the timeline for RFCs
  • Abolish RFCs with no replacement
  • Abolish RFCs but only after coming up with a replacement first
  • Not sure/Don’t know

0 voters

Please vote to approve (or not) the wording of the following proposed question:

Proposed question: Shall the RFC system be repealed?

Do you approve of the wording for this proposed question?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Poll closes 7/14/2022. If a majority votes in favor of the wording, the proposed question will be put to a forum-wide vote.

There should be some sort of little league rule in these polls where if it’s >75% after 2 days it auto-passes. 10 day process is still slow af.

1 Like

75% of how many - there should be some sort of minimum.

I don’t think it matters that it takes a while - everything happening so quickly is most of the drama here and regulars who only take a couple of days away come back and are “wtf happened?”

I’ve advocated in the past for all voting type stuff to happen in, say, the 1st week of each month and still think that is a better way than now.

I don’t get why we need rule changes to happen quickly. And surely people who only pop in once a week should get a chance to vote. Broader participation is worth waiting a few days imo.

1 Like

At least we have an agreed upon process in place with the RFCs. If we repeal it then we will have to start from scratch. Or we will have debates about whether a rule was adopted legitimately. Just winging it hasn’t worked. That’s why the RFC process came to be.

what does RFC stand for?

Request for comments.

Ragefire Chasm

1 Like