Reveal Thread: Walrus Grab Bag 2 - The Walrus Strikes Back

Sorry to interrupt, I was away from my computer. Here’s the updated scores:

Please continue.

3 Likes

rounding out the nodium, In 11th place with 3 points

Travelling Alone – Passenger

This is another one that I don’t dislike. It’s pretty and thoughtful and deep…but if it invokes a specific place, that place is “the depths of despair and loneliness,” which isn’t what I meant when I defined the category so maybe I should have been more specific? However, it’s closer than the previous two, and at least it mentions a hotel room, so it’s not last. It’s also a nice segue into the next group.

Here’s a little preview of the next group of songs:

1 Like

Love your work!

Love the titles!

…don’t love my score.

1 Like

Well, I wasn’t going to listen to 12 minutes of Weird Al, so…

Yeah, that’s pretty mind boggling. It may have had to win. I’ve definitely heard that before but not really listened, probably an advert or some such nonsense. The first minute or two are particularly great.

1 Like

Also love the lightning reveal! sky just slappin ‘em down.

2 Likes

Moving on to the section I had the most trouble ranking because a bunch of you submitted the same song! Just kidding. They only sound the same. Just kidding…sort of. It seems many of you have, as @cassette so eloquently put it, typecast me as the IndigoGirl, when in reality, I find this type of music mostly unremarkable.

With a few exceptions, coffee house acoustic folk pop is not really my jam at this point in my life, boys. I don’t hate these. I just wouldn’t ever choose these. Four of the five in this group were mostly interchangeable, and only one stood out because frankly, it elicited more of a response than “ho hum” (and that response was slight laughter). Anyway, onward with open mic night at the Unstuck Student Center Cafe.

In 10th place with 4 points

Southern California Wants to be Western New York – Dar Williams

Well, at least we’ve hit the mark on the category now. She does do a decent job of describing both places metaphorically, I guess. I understand the idea behind this song, but I just find it kind of musically boring and the lyrics slightly pretentious. One venti triple latte with half soy milk half 1% milk and a dash of cinnamon for “Dar”!

3 Likes

Yeah still alive but assuming my song is coming up in this grouping lol. My choice was less “I think skydiver will like this” and more “OK I think this fits the category so I’m submitting it”, if it makes you feel better.

3 Likes

Feeling mine incoming…

1 Like

I’ve legit watched this 10 times now.

Partly because it’s adorable and makes me happy, and partly to try and learn his moves since they are vastly superior to my own.

1 Like

In 9th place with 5 points

Lakes of Canada – The Innocence Mission

It should tell you something that I kept getting this one mixed up with the Dar Williams track in my head and had to listen to them several times to make sure I had it right. This one is higher because it’s slightly more interesting musically (like, they use a couple more chords than Dar does?) and I like the tune better. Sure, it makes Lake Louise or wherever sound nice, but I go to places to experience them, not sleep through them. Otherwise, meh. One grande pumpkin spice latte for “Innocence”!

2 Likes

Yup! Mine should be dropping annnnny minute now.

This was me. I did the same as @mjiggy and just went with “Ok, checks off a location”. Sorry.

1 Like

wow…not what I put you on.

I love SOAD and this album but I wouldn’t have done the cover of it so not me.

In 8th place with 6 points

Campfire Kansas – The Get Up Kids

Memories of camping trips and summer…in Kansas, I guess? Whatever. They dragged a keyboard on stage for this one, which makes it more interesting, but the vocals are kind of generic (see next entry) and we’re back to replacement-level guitar strumming, so this might be a good time to check out the community notice board in case you’re looking to buy a used couch or want to find a protest to attend on Saturday. One grande skinny mocha with a whisper of nutmeg for “Kid”!

2 Likes

were we suppose to send you to a happy location? This does not bode well for me then.

not necessarily. It can be not boring without being happy.

I think I know what skydiver’s problem is, and I think I agree completely, but then I also worry my track will drop any second.

(Still awake, shouldn’t be)

2 Likes

In 7th place with 7 points

Old Pine – Ben Howard

Someone who does more than strum the guitar! I’m intrigued enough to go back to my table! Oh. Memories of camping trips and summer…by an old pine, I guess? The guitar is the best part of this song. I’m not sure why so many of the male singers in this genre want to sound like each other, and they all sound like the radio hits I occasionally hear. Who is that? The Lumineers? Mumford and Sons? Someone tell me because I don’t know. One grande soy mocha with a hint of caramel for “Ben”!

2 Likes

Not nodium!

That’s a 2 streak!