Request Product Recommendations ITT!

That was my preferred plan but I was outvoted because “no one likes sleeping on air mattresses” (despite it surely being more comfortable than most convertible furniture)

There are some Murphy bed/sofa combos that are probably out of your price range.

Boards like these work well.

Hey

2 Likes

Spoken like someone who hasn’t slept on a good, modern air mattress. You can get air mattresses that are perfectly comfortable now, much better than the shitty always deflating ones of yesteryear.

We already have one actually, a nice queen never-flat. Yet still…

So ofc my parents ask on black friday what laptop they should buy. I am not even sure where to look. I wasnt very fortunate with gaming laptops in the past and I have no idea which prices are common these days. When I was looking in recent weeks I found the prices quite high for even basic ones but I really have no feeling for it. Test results are all over the place with no clear favourite.
So they only need it for doing taxes, photos, some office stuff and watching a film maybe. It shouldnt cost more than 1000€.

They should be able to get a decent Windows machine that will serve them well for under $800. Lenovo, Dell, HP are the usual names.

Seems like tons of options for their limited needs in that price range. I tend to think Lenovo has the most consistent build quality across all models, so to avoid doing days of research I’d just go to their site and see what they have on sale in the $800-999 range and pick something that’s more like a business laptop and has no video card.

Maybe something like this
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpadt/thinkpad-t14-gen-4-(14-inch-intel)/21hd0072us

or this

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpadx1/thinkpad-x1-carbon-gen-11-(14-inch-intel)/21hm002cus

I like Acer laptops. Generally cheaper than the other brands, but I have never had any issues.

They probably should look for features they want, such as a minimum screen size and possibly touch screen, and then have them buy the machine with the most RAM for the money they’re willing to spend.

1 Like

I agree with thinking about screen size and these things but I think you can go wrong just focusing on specs like RAM. Like the Lenovo business laptops have way better keyboard and touch pad than the Asus laptop I had in past. There’s also a diminishing return once you get to 16 GB RAM for most use cases

They probably go for a 17" one. If they really bought today they probably decided between the Acer my father found or the HP Envy my brother suggested to them. Both had 16GB ram. I took the opportunity to check on gaming laptops but these prices are insane and I wasnt really lucky in the past with them. Too loud, too heavy, getting too hot and barely made it through warranty.

Yeah the video card is the expensive component of a gaming laptop and it’s not actually needed for what they use the computer for then it’s just an expensive component that drains battery. I am assuming they are not looking at Macs. If they want a 17 inch screen they probably shouldn’t follow my earlier advice. This is probably the sort of decision you can stress about for days but the products that meet their criteria and price point will have marginal differences so just pick one and don’t stress too much about it

2 Likes

I am contemplating getting a chest freezer, maybe 5-7 cubic feet. Best Buy’s in-house Insignia brand is relatively cheap. My needs are relatively modest. Any reason why I shouldn’t?

I think as long as it’s self defrosting you’re probably good.

1 Like

Cheapest is best for that kind of thing. It’s ancient and simple tech. Mostly bulletproof.

1 Like

Anybody have either of these bags below? I’ll take other recommendations as well. Looking for a 2-wheel carryon. Want it to feel really sturdy and not cheap like so many bags do now, so generally not interested in the lightweight lines. But also don’t really want to spend the $700-1000 of a Tumi/B&R. Current suitcase is a TravelPro Crew 8 that looks brand new after 11 years but sadly the top carry handle went busto and I don’t think replacement parts are available anymore.

TravelPro Platinum Elite:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0DG6Z5/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAATo6&th=1

TravelPro Crew Versapack:
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/closeout-travelpro-crew-versapack-22-2-wheel-max-softside-carry-on?ID=9346516

I have an older version of the Platinum Elite, I personally don’t use it (I prefer to go wheelless) but my wife uses it a lot, it’s super solid, you can beat the shit out of it and it looks new, and yes, two wheels are way better than four IMO unless your travel pattern is airport-car-hotel every time. If you ever do any walking around town with your bag, you will regret having four wheels since any bump in the sidewallk will be extremely jarring (dont even think about cobblestones).

Everything I’ve heard about Tumi indicates that their build quality has gone way down lately and it’s absolutely not worth the premium over the Travelpro (I don’t think it was ever worth the premium tbh, the difference was marginal even in the good days).

B&R definitely seems like a step up in quality but again, its incremental, probably not worth the price difference unless maybe ifyou’re on the road every week.

1 Like

Much appreciated. Yes, I can’t stand spinners. Reduces storage space and I am one of those crazy people that is sometimes not on flat ground and appreciates if my bag doesn’t run away as a result of that.