Request Product Recommendations ITT!

Android daily checklist

anyone have any running/exercise type gloves that actually work with phone screens?

I have a pair I got at costco and they do a decent job of keeping my fingers from freezing off but they are essentially useless with the phone.

I have some NB running gloves that work slightly better with the phone, but they’re really, really thin and they’re barely better than nothing when it come to the cold

I’m looking for traditional(not wireless) earbuds for phone talking and music/podcast listening.

Any recommendations with a $20-40 price point appreciated.

I did a search of the thread assuming that “ear buds” or “earbuds” had previously been discussed, but there were no results.

I’m going to piggy back off of this as I am also in the market for earbuds or headphones to use with my phone and computer. I’m particularly interested in a pair that have a quality microphone as the ones I use now are super shitty at picking up my voice.

Have you seen Boardwalk Empire? Well, I want to drink my cocktails like Nukkie Thompson. I’d love to rip cigs and womanize like him too, but those days are in the rear view. Back to what I Can Do:

Recommend me your favorite bar-ware. I like the heavy, thick, and somewhat ornate cocktail glasses of 30s-era Cuba, like on the show. I’ll also drink martinis or other classics like the Last Word, but always take them down (no rocks) instead of up in a traditional cocktail glass. I also drink whiskey neat or with a single rock.

So, what do you recommend? Yes - I can figure this out with 30 minutes of research online, but Unstuck always has great recs. Hit me!!

Not sure if you follow this thread, but you may get some good recs by cross posting: https://unstuckpolitics.com/t/the-beer-wine-and-spirits-thread

1 Like

What product(s) would you recommend for a non-IT person wanting to back up data for a small (single person) business? I think it’s mostly accounting records, project files from design suites, and raster/vector images.

Depending on the amount of data, I’d probably just use onedrive or Google drive.

Our onedrive accounts have 1TB of storage.

Would having a local backup on external hard drive in addition to cloud backup be overkill or is that considered best practice?

It’s best practice to have multiple backup locations. I backup my firm locally every 4 hours and nightly to a data warehouse in another state. But we’re 40 people.

I don’t have much experience with backing up a single machine regularly. I don’t backup anything on my user’s machines and just tell them that if it isn’t in onedrive it’s vulnerable.

Is there a server involved or is it just a desktop/laptop that needs to be backed up?

1 Like

No servers just laptops.

Single person business - keep a local daily backup as well as the cloud.

It doesn’t sound like much data so you could also probably backup daily to a USB stick and keep that with you as extra cover against a fire etc.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s going to amount to much data, but I’ll have to check with the person and see. I don’t they would be thrilled with keeping track of a USB thumb drive and would imagine it has a more significant risk of loss/damage than a disaster on the property. So in that case I was going to recommend a small external hard drive in addition to cloud storage.

This is what I do.

For my cloud I use pcloud. I like it because it is a one time fee for lifetime storage. And it’s pretty reasonably priced, imo.

1 Like

Look into something like this if you don’t need portability for the local backup:

I use a version of these (a few of the biggers business ones) for my local backups.

1 Like

Any, sigh, reading glasses recommendations? For “fun” I bought some cheapo 1.5x on amazon to see if “it made any difference” and yeahhhhhh. I don’t know a thing about it as I’ve always had perfect eyesight. I’m 2 weeks from turning everyone on this board’s least favorite number.

I don’t have any reading glasses recs but have you been to an optometrist recently? If not it’s probably a good idea to do so. Not only will they be able to guide you in the right direction for reading glasses, but they can make sure your vision issue isn’t being caused by an underlying condition.

I know there are a lot of Costco members here. I’m considering getting a membership because I’m due for a set of tires. Worth it for this alone?

Very good chance the tires alone will pay for the membership.

2 Likes

If you don’t absolutely need them immediately, setting up an alert on slickdeals for the size you need will often result in some amazing deals from the big tire installation chains. However, the big downside here is there is no guarantee on the timing.

Usually, it’s only been a couple of months for me, but I had a tire that needed to be replaced before it’s time and I just had a trash used tire installed with the intention of getting all new tires from somewhere I could get a good deal, but that was like three months ago and I haven’t found anything. This would not be palatable except I don’t have to drive anywhere these days.

1 Like