Request for Comments: Gatekeeping Rule and Moderator Votes

I wouldn’t call 2p2 an authoritarian hellscape. It was/is easy to not get in trouble and of course anyone can leave. It’s cool that this place is something different though.

2 Likes

Yea, I wasn’t really referring to 2p2 but I agree.

You guys should listen to wookie when it comes to polls and how to run these kinds of things. I highly recommend checking out his “double double blind” taste tests of various alcohols way back in the day on OOT. Those were extremely well run and organized and were great reads.

1 Like

I like the idea of letting mods do whatever they want and then recalling them if necessary. But I think the approval rating threshold of 50% or even 66% is too low. If a quarter of the entire forum thinks you are doing a crappy job, you should get kicked out. As we’ve seen it’s not that hard to get clear consent.

The same applies to voting for mods in the first place.

1 Like

Rules pertaining to forum moderation, including selection, tenure and conduct of moderators, shall be introduced through the request for comments (“RFC”) process.

Any user may initiate an RFC for a proposed rule by creating a thread in the About Unstuck subforum.

The purpose of RFC threads is to facilitate community input on proposed rules.

The initial post of an RFC thread should describe the proposed rule. Any user may provide input on the proposed rule by posting in the RFC thread.

After an RFC thread has been open for at least 3 full days , any user can request a Forum Administrator to create a poll within the RFC thread to approve the wording for the proposal. Upon receipt of such request, a Forum Administrator shall use the Administrative Account to create a public poll stating the proposed wording of the rule with the choices of “Yes” or “No.” The poll shall remain open for a period of one week . If the poll receives support from either (1) at least two-thirds of all voters or (2) from a majority of voters AND a majority of moderator voters , the proposal will proceed to a biding rule vote. Otherwise, debate on the proposal may continue and any user can again request a vote on wording within the RFC thread.

If a proposal proceeds to a biding rule vote, a Forum Administrator will create a new thread in the About Unstuck subforum stating the proposed wording of the rule with the choices of “Yes” or “No.” The poll shall remain open for a period of one week . The proposed rule will be adopted if it receives support from at least two-thirds of all voters for moderator appointments or if it receives support from a majority of voters for all other rules .

Until rules regarding the selection and tenure of moderators have been adopted: (1) the current moderators will remain in their roles, (2) the moderators will not permanently ban any user unless that user publicly requests such a ban, (3) the moderators will not ban any user in a way that prevents the user from voting in an RFC poll or in a biding rule vote poll with the exception of bans issued in accordance with this section.

2 Likes

I think the problem here is people care too much lol. Like what you’re saying all makes sense but people should be willing and able to accept things not always going their way. If you think modding here sucks you’re in luck because this is literally just a message board to waste time on and nothing matters

2 Likes

Exactly. Just let @Beetlejuice do whatever he wants. Give it a few months and if it doesn’t work (it would work) we can try something else.

2 Likes

And to expand on this, people are all oh we need a constitutional convention. Which sounds reasonable except writing the short Constitution was incredibly complicated and took 116 days to write. Which was OK for the founders because it was actually important and needed to happen. For a hundred person internet forum on the other hand…

2 Likes

But if I like my modding, can I keep my modding?

1 Like

Asking a mod to quit more than once after the mod has already indicated he is not inclined to quit should:
  • Be fine and allowed.
  • Result in a temp ban for trolling.

0 voters

Edit: Not trying to direct this at marty specifically.

I’ve been saying this! It’s basically forum treason and must be dealt with harshly and swiftly.

3 Likes

We need to crack down on lèse-modesté.

1 Like

People should be allowed to ask mods repeatedly to resign and mods should be allowed to respond rudely if it is excessive.

This is trolling. “Be fine” is just obviously intentionally bad wording there. Just “be allowed” is the alternative to subject to moderation.

1 Like

Jman, you’re a law dude.

Should telling old ladies on the street that they look fat be:

A: A wonderful thing to do.

or

B: A felony

1 Like
Asking an insurrectionist Senator to resign more than once after he has already indicated that he is not inclined to quit should be:
  • Allowed because it’s fine
  • Censured by the House for trolling

0 voters

Is repeatedly asking Hitler to stop killing Jews out of line?

1 Like

Yeah, because wonderful is totally the equivalent of fine.

How about “allowed” vs “subject to temp ban”?

That’s better than your poll isn’t it?

@anon46587892 @jmakin

Edited to withdraw request to put this to a vote for now.

The proposal copied below is the same as the one a few posts above, except I fixed a couple types (biding to binding).

Rules pertaining to forum moderation, including selection, tenure and conduct of moderators, shall be introduced through the request for comments (“RFC”) process.

Any user may initiate an RFC for a proposed rule by creating a thread in the About Unstuck subforum.

The purpose of RFC threads is to facilitate community input on proposed rules.

The initial post of an RFC thread should describe the proposed rule. Any user may provide input on the proposed rule by posting in the RFC thread.

After an RFC thread has been open for at least 3 full days , any user can request a Forum Administrator to create a poll within the RFC thread to approve the wording for the proposal. Upon receipt of such request, a Forum Administrator shall use the Administrative Account to create a public poll stating the proposed wording of the rule with the choices of “Yes” or “No.” The poll shall remain open for a period of one week . If the poll receives support from either (1) at least two-thirds of all voters or (2) from a majority of voters AND a majority of moderator voters , the proposal will proceed to a binding rule vote. Otherwise, debate on the proposal may continue and any user can again request a vote on wording within the RFC thread.

If a proposal proceeds to a binding rule vote, a Forum Administrator will create a new thread in the About Unstuck subforum stating the proposed wording of the rule with the choices of “Yes” or “No.” The poll shall remain open for a period of one week . The proposed rule will be adopted if it receives support from at least two-thirds of all voters for moderator appointments or if it receives support from a majority of voters for all other rules .

Until rules regarding the selection and tenure of moderators have been adopted: (1) the current moderators will remain in their roles, (2) the moderators will not permanently ban any user unless that user publicly requests such a ban, (3) the moderators will not ban any user in a way that prevents the user from voting in an RFC poll or in a biding rule vote poll with the exception of bans issued in accordance with this section.

1 Like