About Moderation (old original thread)

I support banner announcements for binding rule and moderator votes. I oppose them for RFCs, and certainly for each poll within an RFC. A lot of people here don’t care about all the minutiae and don’t want to be bothered.

1 Like

The “Gatekeeping/RFC” thread was (1) started by Wookie and (2) applies to ALL rules and rule-making.

I think the mod voting stuff can and should be productively carved out (and does not require additional RFC).

Maybe we should stop using analogies and just say what we mean - analogies just add an extra layer that can be misunderstood/interpreted as has been clearly demonstrated in this case.

2 Likes

Yeah, if people think mod election should be distinct from rules elections, I’d like to get that hashed out at the same time in the same place, because if not, we’re likely to apply the same standards to rules as to mod elections.

@MrWookie, do you agree with this post by whosnext? Anyone else?

(I’m not asking because I think this has to be certified specifically by wookie, I am just not following the gatekeeping thread and don’t want to make things more confusing)

Also, I’m willing to start a new poll on mod terms/elections/rules, but don’t want to jump the gun on that either. It’s HARD to write polls. How many failures do we have to see to know that? There needs to be some pre-poll discussion as well as coordinated GOTV.

1 Like

See my write up here: Request for Comments: Gatekeeping Rule and Moderator Votes - #139 by econophile

3 Likes

We can’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good. We also can’t get to a rule if we don’t start. Let’s start in one focussed place.

Ok. I suggest that we make a little committee and I will be on it, probably clovis should be, maybe goofy and/or skydiver and/or jman, maybe someone who has had nothing at all to do with this and we PM with each other about language for the poll. And I suggest that we not hurry. Why hurry?

Also, clovis is requesting a short ban for reasons I’ll explain in the log of moderator actions. I’m hoping he’ll respond to this post and then that will start.

Happy to join happy or abstain. Whatever the community thinks. Someone like Jal or Uk or mystery should be on it too. Maybe all.

Ok, well, I’m going to go and start your ban. I hope I can pull together like 5 people who are acceptable to each other and who, when they present the poll, will be seen as a balanced group. It’s not that people should be excluded, it’s just very hard to get things agreed on with too many people and new people coming in randomly.

me, watching msnbc/cnn at home: wow, these fuckers can’t get it together. if only the country could elect a couple hundred smart leftists, they would figure out how to work together and force change so easily

15 Likes

The shorter the terms are the more people might be willing to do it.

We have at least 6 who are up for it, plus the 4 who are/have been doing it. That’s 10 who can rotate. If term limits are restricted to 6 months that might rise considerably.

My 2p’s worth.

4 Likes

A few things. Several people have stepped up to be mod or a judge. If no one wanted to be a mod I think we wouldn’t have people jockeying so hard for it in these threads.

Two, polls with a banner typically get ~50% community involvement which is pretty good in my opinion.

Three, on the ■■■■ word - I agree, but what we did was a largely symbolic action that seemed to satisfy most people enough to stop complaining and fighting and threatening to quit about it, which to me is a massive win. Also, please no one use this post to reignite that debate.

1 Like

You’re seeing the results of liberalism

never opens thread again

4 Likes

As Jal said, I don’t think that’s a problem. Certainly not an immediate problem. And a bridge that can be crossed when we get there.

This is a tough one though. You can argue for a month and get everything worked out and put up a poll and have people rehashing the entire argument that they didn’t participate in or just poo-pooing everything in a hit and run.

1 Like

You can totally be a mod and never ban anyone. Just excising derails is doing a community service.

2 Likes

The existing mods got to their spots by a variety of means. I think if we’re going to formalize mod terms and elections and rotations and such, we should do it now for the next mods rather than ad hoc the new mods and then try to sort it out.

It’s funny that clovis really doesn’t realize how he is proving their case.

4 Likes

I think that would have been fine a month ago. Or maybe two weeks ago even.

Wasn’t a knock on clovis or a call for his banning. It’s always good to take a time out (i know i wish i did on countless occasions). “Funny” was a bad word to use there.

1 Like