Pulled over by cops. Should I get a lawyer/ACLU involved?

The only obvious solution I see is to have an amazing camera+mic rig on your car. Would probably take some engineering to do it right though. Is there any law on recording cops?

You’re always, always, always better off saying no. You could say yes and a dirty cop could plant drugs. Have you owned the car since it was driven off the lot? If not, some previous owner could have left something, and that’s on you. The cop could break something while searching, and that’s on you. It takes a lot of time, and that’s a loss for you. It makes a mess of your stuff, and that’s on you. He’s probably not going to put it all back for you, so that’s on you too.

The only reason to say yes is not to piss off the cop, but at the end of the day, that’s a silly reason compared to the rest. Also, if you say yes and they do find something, plant something, etc, you have no grounds to try to get the charges thrown out. If you said no, you give your lawyer something extra to work with.

“I’m sorry sir, I know you’re just trying to do your job and all, but I do not consent to any searches.”

Why?

“Officer, it’s just an inconvenience I would rather avoid so that I can get where I’m going. I’m not trying to be difficult, sir, but I do not consent to any searches. Am I being detained, or am I free to go?”

Keep in mind, most Americans support this practice. They just trust police to only use it when they “know” they’re dealing with a drug dealer or whatever. It’s an extra “tool” for the cops.

1 Like

There is now in Tucson, or maybe it’s Tempe. They banned it within a perimeter that is up to the police to decide how far it goes. Can’t be getting those cell phone videos of cops killing people, now can we?

Cops who are doing their jobs have no expectation of privacy. ACLU apparently has an app for that purpose. I think if you’re in a dual consent state you should probably let them know that you’re recording the interaction. Here is a dual facing camera I’m considering:

Might be +EV to let them know you’re recording just because they may be more careful on their end.

2 Likes

Yeah on one hand it could make them think twice about doing stupid shit and decide to pick an easier target. On the other hand, they could just become enraged and attempt to destroy all of your gear then murder you. Like what’s stopping them from just ripping those dash cams out of your car and smashing them on the pavement? I’d go for one of those top-mount 360 parking assist cams for the main one and then some hidden pinhole cameras around the vehicle. A good fabricator could make them practically invisible. I’d do all the wiring and coding shit myself rigged up with fail-safes like battery backup and cloud recording via wifi. I’ve done that rig for houses and it’s not that hard but effectively hiding it all in a car seems more challenging.

1 Like

Which is more likely a pissed off dirty cop planting something or a not pissed off cop planting something?

Maybe I’m just more gun-shy since I’ve dealt with some shady police. If I knew my car was clean I’d probably go the path of least resistance. Maybe not now though since I’m older and my fucks given are far less.

Chances are those equities actually run pretty close, but by refusing you get to realize lots of “no search at all” equity.

Yeah we disagree there. Think it’s far more likely for something to be planted and my car torn down to its foundation by him and his dirty buddies since I made them go get the dog and I disrespected their “authority”.

What if you could not afford a good lawyer and had to use a public defender who eats breakfast with the local prosecutor and golfs with the judges at the local country club?

I’ll second this.

On the other hand it could save your ass…

It’s Tucson, and there’s a bit more to the story:

Ironically, the Chief quoted in both stories resigned 2 days ago after an April in-custody death similar in many ways to that of George Floyd. (correction: he offered to resign and his resignation was not accepted)

The answer should still always be no. This is widely agreed upon by the experts.

The only time I was ever arrested, it was me and two other young privileged white yutes, in college.

They did a huge amount of verbal harassment and then when taking us in the car they would swerve really hard back and forth to get us to slide all over the backseat, which is not fun with handcuffs on.

Tried to Freddie Gray you.

1 Like

I told my buddy this. He started laughing his ass off at me. Apparently Lawrenceburg is less than 20 miles from Pulaski, TN. What’s the big deal? Pulaski is where the KKK was formed. I’m lucky those fuckers didn’t kill me JFC.

1 Like

I have more fear even as a white person in those shady redneck towns than I’ve ever felt barhopping in any huge city’s “bad” neighborhoods. I do get called a Jew sometimes though so that may be a factor.

2 Likes

Maybe you should go to one the sane states like California, Colorado, or Minnesota where the police don’t harass and kill people.