Pulled over by cops. Should I get a lawyer/ACLU involved?

I looked up the city council to see if I could get an email address for the mayor. Talk about stereotypes, JFC I’m lucky to be alive. They all look like grand dragons in the KKK.

3 Likes

That is not an unusual interaction with a cop. Reminds me of an incident a few years ago where they didn’t even write a ticket for probable cause.

This encapsulates a lot that is wrong. They only pulled you over to search for drugs. At no point did they have any evidence you had drugs. They are wasting everyone’s time. They never pull you over and four people plus a dog have time for other things.

Did you ever consider saying “What are you going to do kneel on my neck?”

Someone here mentioned the running from cops podcast. It is an expose on the tv show Cops. In an early episode one deputy had been being filmed for five days but had no arrests. The last night the crew was with him and almost the end of his shift he went crazy trying to get a positive hit on a test. He did it three times. On the last try he just lied so he could be on tv. Later on the state crime lab found the sample was negative for drugs.

Any time you have contact with a cop, the chances are they are up to shenanigans. Stuff like what you experienced can be completely abolished. It is neither Protecting or Serving.

The average beat cop / traffic cop spends a significant portion of every shift trying to come up with ways to fuck with citizens.

1 Like

First cop called the other two. He chose to pull you over. None of them are innocent.

1 Like

My first question reading this is what happens if you say “You look nervous.” To my surprise, I now know.

1 Like

Micro raised a good point. anything you can do to make their life more difficult is worthwhile. I would definitely see about filing a formal complaint. If they get twenty of those they could easily get caught by their fourth murder.

9 Likes

Anyone who considers this should know there’s a non-zero chance this comment results in their death.

There’s a significant non-zero chance it gets you roughed up. That’s just not something you can say to the police in a police state and expect to come away unscathed.

Best case scenario, they write you the ticket they were going to let you slide on.

3 Likes

Knowing absolutely nothing of the science behind it, I feel confident claiming that the drug dogs are almost entirely bullshit. I’d probably even lay 2:1 on it blind if I was drinking. If it could be proven, I’d even bet that a lot of these fuckin’ dogs aren’t even trained.

Part of me agrees and part of me thinks that is the height of white privilege.

I’m not gonna fault some POC for thinking, “Maybe if I just consent to the search he won’t find some reason to beat the shit out of and/or kill me.” In fact, if you’re a young black male, it is very likely the correct line in many parts of the country.

As you acknowledge, not consenting is hard. But the degree of difficulty and the consequences are different depending on what you look like.

If they call a K9 on you, there are only two questions you can legally ask:

“Is that a service animal?”

“Which tasks has it been trained to perform?”

1 Like

I once got arrested with several friends while tripping on some good acid and got in a huge argument at the station and accused them of entrapment and literally got involved in a screaming match with whoever happened to be in charge as they were completely insulted that anyone would accuse them of entrapment.

It’s nice to be white, unbruised, and still alive.

They should just use dowsing rods. Way cheaper than K9s.

It’s been a while since I’ve had a run-in, but cops used to love me. In high school when they showed up to break up a party I was always the one to go talk to them. The police in a neighboring town (Lincoln, MA) once actually called my parents to tell them what a fine upstanding young man I was. When I went to college in St. Louis I’m pretty sure being a tall white Washington University student was the secret code to never getting in trouble. I am (was, I hope) also really really good at lying and manipulating and telling people what they want to hear to get my ass out of trouble.

Ronald Fox and Robin Williams get blasted reaching for weapons imo.

Perhaps they could get fuckers like this off the street before they stab three people on a train instead of harassing people for minor equipment issues. He threw a Gatorade bottle into a woman’s face the day before the incident on the train and the cop let him leave the scene.

1 Like

Totally standard cop behavior. Your play was expert. You have no recourse. It’s a lot worse than that for black men.

4 Likes

One time I had some kind of medical emergency and fainted outside in a public area. Someone flagged down a cop and he was the first on the scene before paramedics arrived.

You know that little trick where someone asks a bunch a easy questions rapid fire where the answer is yes to all them in an attempt to get the person to say yes to something they should say no to. The cop tried that in an attempt to get me to say yes to smoking crack.

2 Likes

Get your surprised faces ready:

The Supreme Court had another opportunity to address the problem in the 2013′s Florida v. Harris. At issue in that case was whether mere certification could be enough to establish a drug dog’s reliability, or if, as the defendant argued, a judge should also consider a dog’s record in the field before ruling on the legality of a search based on the dog’s alert. In a unanimous decision, the court rejected the defendant’s argument. If a dog is certified to detect narcotics, the court ruled, its roadside alerts are sufficient to establish probable cause for a search.

Importantly, the court put no qualifiers on how reputable the certifying organization should be, or whether certification should ensure that the dog has been trained to disregard its innate desire to please its handler. The court also didn’t seem concerned with the fact that there are incentives for certifying organizations to please its customers — which, of course, are police departments. The court seemed incurious about important matters such as how often does the certification organization fail a K-9 team? Who determines whether the K-9 unit passes?

A drug dog’s actual performance in the field is a far better indication of its accuracy than whether it passed a controlled test administered by a certification group. But the Supreme Court justices just didn’t get it. During oral arguments, Justice Antonin Scalia seemed perplexed as to why a police department would want a dog prone to false alerts. “Why would a police department want to use an incompetent dog?” he asked the public defender who argued the case. “What incentive is there for a police department?”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/02/05/supreme-courts-alternative-facts-about-drug-sniffing-dogs/

Another brick in the wall of evidence of this scumbag also being dumb as a fuckin’ ox.

8 Likes

1 Like

I’m surprised you avoided this trap while cracked out of your mind.

I didn’t realize Scalia was such a troll.