Protests Erupt Across China

This seems like it might be a big deal:

Cliffs: Protests against zero-covid policy and Xi.

Oh well, nevertheless.

1 Like

Color Revolution obviously.

There’s a China thread already

1 Like

Zero covid policy in a world with vaccines seems very stupid.

1 Like

I saw a figure the other day that only 2/3 of Chinese 80+ years old are vaccinated.

Meanwhile as the government has flirted with opening up there’s been no meaningful vaccine drive.

Don’t worry, they’ll all be dead soon and we can get back to our regularly-scheduled fascism.

My apartment community in Wuhan was supposed to be on lockdown* until Wednesday because if a few cases. People have been yelling at the guards all day and now the lockdown will be done tomorrow.

*Can go outside your building but can’t leave the community.

1 Like

I don’t know, vaccine only policy is also really stupid. The US is still experiencing September 11th levels of death every 9 days or so.

1 Like

China went nearly two years without a Covid death, clearly they are doing something right!

1 Like

Does anyone here prefer China’s approach on Covid over what the US has done and is doing?

1 Like

Over what time frame? I think I prefer China’s approach to the US circa February 2020 through about mid 21. We’d have, what, half a million more people alive? Somewhere in the middle of the two approaches seems right to me though.

Imo at the beginning they were better when things were novel and we lacked effective treatments and some nifty vaccines and didn’t know if the world was going to end.

Now they are the silly geese.

1 Like

Amazing how well they’ve maintained anti-COVID precautions in their Uighur prison camps!

Would you prefer China’s exact approach from Feb 2020 to present day if it saved a million US covid deaths?

That’s a hard question. A million people is a lot of people. Every single one of them is a universe-ending tragedy for someone, likely multiple someones.

2 Likes

I know several people who died. I know that their families would easily trade living in locked-down China for 3 years to have them back.

2 Likes

Would it be a hard question if we put every US citizen in a min security prison for three years with improved access to healthcare and dietary needs, regardless of economical and every other implication if it reduced all covid deaths? I would disagree that those protesting the lockdowns in China would come to the conclusion that their protests were unwarranted if they experienced the death rate of the US.

I don’t think China is justified in what it is doing right now and I don’t prefer the Chinese system right now to the US system.

I’d very much like to understand better how much these protests are “really about” COVID vs Xi and China’s general direction.

2 Likes