Programming

Lyft. Good job on the others.

1 Like

There are plenty of fire drills where I work and very interesting projects. The benefit is when something is wrong you usually have other smart people that can address the stupid ones so you aren’t annoyed by them. The tough problems always need someone to solve them. My particular company runs into issues a lot with certain teams that aren’t up to snuff all the time.

I always forget Lyft is still in business.

1 Like

That looks good and affordable. I would avoid algoexpert based on the guy’s youtubes.

Somebody pulls the strings on threads they don’t like at HackerNews. There was a discussion of the Alec Baldwin shooting that was moving up the top 30 or whatever, and now it’s just gone, completely off the list.

2 Likes

Fun fact of the day:

Insertion sort should be an O(n log n) algorithm, because there’s nothing inherently slow about it. You can find where to insert each item in the new list in log n time using binary search, then you just insert the new item. When you pick up a hand of playing cards, it’s natural and efficient to use insertion sort to sort them, because it’s fast both to find where to put the card and to slide it in. The algorithm’s downfall is that common data structures don’t offer both fast searching and fast insertion, so you end up doing O(n) work on one or the other. But if you use a skip list, you get O(log n) for both insertions and searches, and you can do insertion sort in n log n time. (According to Wikipedia, which is a little unclear about whether this is average or worst-case.)

1 Like

skip lists have up n log n space complexity though

I’ve decided to quit my current (and first) programming job after ~5 years, without having a new one in the pipeline, am I crazy?
I’m in talks / “the process” with a couple of companies from linkedin and talent.io but nothing concrete, yet.

I guess I can afford to be out of a job for like a year (and I’d really like to get better at core programming - I’d say I’m easily in the top 60% or so in “actually doing day-to-day programming”, having exposure to other dev from all walks of life, but, being self taught, I have huge gaping deficits imo).

“My” company will probably implode, I’m not the only one leaving within the next couple of weeks, which made the decision easer. Still, it feels weird to jump into the abyss of joblessness.

A bit crazy. I’d ride out the current job as long as possible until you have another job lined up. If the writing is on the wall all the better no one’s going to care too much about your lack of 100% job effort as you job hunt.

1 Like

Yeah at this point it’s starting to become a mental health issue. The main advantage of joblessness would be I actually love programming (the dreaded take-home assignments I got from the companies that contacted me are, like, the most fun I professionally had in the last year) and I could spend the time improving myself.

I have a ton of different / lateral responsibilities at my current position so I’m not really improving at the speed that I’d like - but that’s besides the actual dysfunctionality: I know everybody likes to complain about their work now and then but, yeah, basically everybody at the (small) company is depressed / close to breaking down / burning out because of, honestly, crazy leadership.

I’m also thinking about contracting or even starting my own business (I’ve been always independent - this is my first job but I’m closer to 40 than 30 and have had a successful business before).

2 Likes

Yeah maybe I wasn’t clear, that’s what I’m currently doing. I’m a Rails developer, which I thought was pretty unsexy but I get so many requests that I ignore recruiters where I don’t like the face lol (not really, but you get the gist).

I only started “casually looking” ~2 weeks ago, and think I’m pretty good at (non technical :sweat_smile:) interviews because so far everybody I talked to loved me, my take-homes also got glowing reviews.

So it’s possible (and I’d prefer it) that I won’t be jobless for very long / might even start directly after my notice-period is up.

But I think I will feel much better if I pull the plug asap and if I’m jobless for a couple of months so be it, I guess?

Also, I’m not FAANG material (or even interested in that), at all, having no formal education and all that. I’d rather work on an agile (the adjective) small-medium company, I already earn enough and don’t really care about money (no and won’t have kids, steady gf who makes the same money I do)…

1 Like

it’s fine. soft dev hiring is really hot right now. you won’t be unemployed for long

Whats like a polite way to tell someone in code review to stop doing “stuff” (side effects) inside of javascript array methods like map and find? I mean technically yeah you can do that but uh that doesn’t seem right i.e. call other functions instead of just purely returning things from them. Struggling to say that though IDK. Cmon eslint :expressionless:

nah not really just having some trouble phrasing it exactly

Don’t know if it’s appreciated here but I know as a lurker I like such content so what the heck, update on my job search:

Passed the third and final step with the first company I applied to, they want to send me an offer this week. They are not my first / dream choice at all (for example they are pretty small and bootstrapped; the founders spend time helping our their support team and the product is a bit boring) but on the other hand they seem super nice and it’s all developers, themselves.

I’m having another final tech interview with another company this week with an even more boring, generic product, but by internet stalking I found out they are actually a subsidiary / investment of a much bigger, national house-hold-company and have a lot going on behind the scenes, so that’s more interesting, pays better and is probably way more structured (they have many small teams working semi independently).

But I really like the first guys on a personal level. Meh, let’s see - I’m in a rush to quit, not so much in a rush to pick “whoever takes me” I guess.

7 Likes

i must be getting jaded. just lol at this cold email

… has substantially disrupted the legal tech market with a lawyer inspired consumer-grade interface and a cloud-enabled AI technology platform that offers unprecedented performance and cost savings. … recently IPO’d, and they are a unicorn company destined for continual growth!

I’ve got

A HealthTech client of ours is looking to bolster the backend of its AI/Computer Vision-driven remote therapy product. Its team is looking for the absolute best backend RoR developers to drive the core product’s online offering forward.

I mean, that already sounds like a scam to me…

In other news I’ve got an offer from the first company which I liked more, which is higher than we initially talked about and the same as “bigcorp” said would be max there, so I’m pretty inclined to take it.

Probably going to be a stressful job / the more stressful of those two, but can’t be as stressful as my current one and I’d like to think I’m much better seeing red flags than I was 5 years ago, when I’ve never held an honest job in my life.

1 Like

Like a full on restart where it goes to a black screen with the Apple logo? I can’t recall ever experiencing that but I also don’t keep mine always on and I vaguely remember apps like Caffeine causing issues similar to this so it could have something to do with not sleeping.

Might be worth it to see if you can get a replacement or something and seeing if the replacement has the same issues.

Yeah the touchpad is all haptic, even when it’s working it doesn’t actually move. If it’s happening when you’re just running stock macOS it seems like an issue with that particular Mac.

1 Like